I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva/foam trim sanding
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 12:28PM

Hi all,

Since we're limited to only a few colored cork, I've been using foam sheets to design my handle trims. It's easy to work with and has a good amount of colors up until the sanding portion. I can't seem to level the foam out with the cork and it's leaving "ridges" or high points in my handle. Keep in mind these are 0.5 to 1mm foam trims that are layered in between thin cork rings also (think cf burheimer handles). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva/foam trim sanding
Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 12:40PM

this is the result of the craft foam being softer
Billy Vivona sells thin strips of the same density as the eva blocks
in a recent RodMaker magazine there was an article about using a rotary sander in combination with a lathe
I think the technique was designed for working with materials of different densities

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 04:14PM

Hello Sid.

You need a board or other flat surface to sand with because of the different densities a sandpaper held by hand will not stay flat like a board will, also gently sand don't push hard on it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2017 05:17PM

With a brand new single edge, or even better, a double edge blade (tape one side and be very careful handling it) get the blade as flat as you can and slice off that slight ridge. Of course, this done by hand, not while the grip is spinning in the lathe.

Afterwards you may find it perfect, if not, give it a quick going over on the lathe with sandpaper, but only for a few seconds to clean things up, or you'll be back where you started.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:35PM

Sid,
If you can do the grip work on a lathe, spin the grip and then always use a backing board behind the sand paper on the grip for the finish work.

In addition, the use of a semi orbital sander running end grain at the same time as you spin the grip will also work very well.

I have found that when doing this sort of work that a high speed on the turn of the grip, a very light touch on the sand paper and a medium grit seem to do the job the best.

The idea of the light touch on the sandpaper that is backed with a piece of flat stock is that you want to sand off the ridge of the trim piece without affecting the body of the grip. If you use too fine a grit used with a heavy hand, you will end up compressing the pieces and when you stop you end up having ridges that spring back up after the heavy handed sanding.

Good luck

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:58PM

Thanks all for the tips and info. Will attempt to smooth out the foam ridges!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster