I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switching Thread Colors help
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:04PM

Hi I'm looking for some info on how to do this. I searched on here and on google with no luck. There's got to be a tutorial out there somewhere.

Specifically I'd like to switch back and forth between two colors without cutting either thread if able. I have the Alps wrapper with no modifications.

This is a link to google images of the technique I'd like to learn; the part between the purple and black.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switching Thread Colors help
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:50PM

one way is to use fly tying bobbins for each color
Are you wanting to make a one and one stripe or a couple of wraps with one color and then a couple wraps with another color ??

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2017 02:01PM

The image link didn't work...

Date: March 03, 2017 02:22PM

[goo.gl]

Sorry!

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 03, 2017 02:43PM

Hi Randy,

Try searching fade wrap.

Also here is a video that discusses it. Not the best for viewing, though.

[youtu.be]

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 10:51PM

you can use your wrapper but not the thread carriage that is where I said you would want 2 fly tying bobbins you start with the first color in a bobbin and put an end of the second under it the second color is in a bobbin you pull out enough to give you some working room wrap that end enough to hold it in place and tape the barrel to the rod then you change to the second bobbin you had taped to the rod and tape the first color bobbin to the rod repeat as necessary to achieve the effect you desire .

IMHO if I were doing this I would use the bumper wrap method and cut the threads as it gives a much crisper edge transition from color to color if you want I can take a pick of a demo wrap and send it to you if you will e mail me so I can send it to you

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 03, 2017 11:47PM

Chris, very already seen that video, and didn't help much. I have an Alps wrapper so it's backwards for me. I tried last night and a couple times today with no luck. I think it also helps that his wrapper can tension spools individually rather than just the thread coming off the carriage.

Posted by: Tommy Bee (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 02:21PM

You need to dye your thread by hand at intervals or order intermediate coloured thread surely?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 10:00PM

You don't dye the thrwad. They are all individual colors/different threads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster