I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook keeper
Posted by: Reggie Caudill (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 11:55AM

As a general rule....do ya put a hook keeper on 2pc. surf rods ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook keeper
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 12:51PM

I put hook keeper on all rods that I build.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:06PM

I agree, at the very least it's not gonna hurt anything, even if you never use it. And they only cost around a dollar.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:35PM

My experience with most every hook keeper I've tried except the REC is that their corrosion resistance is very poor. For just a little more you can assure that it will never corrode. In fresh or salt. You can also use their single foot fly guides for a keeper.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 02:27PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My experience with most every hook keeper I've
> tried except the REC is that their corrosion
> resistance is very poor. For just a little more
> you can assure that it will never corrode. In
> fresh or salt. You can also use their single foot
> fly guides for a keeper.

X2. I have even bought Titanium wire to make my own but once you shape it you have to harden it by heating and quench cooling to get an acceptable hardness. Way easier to use the REC ones. Ti alloy

Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.131.---)
Date: March 03, 2017 02:37PM

I always have put hook keepers on my builds. When I started using rod socks a couple years ago I began to experience problems with the hook getting tangled in the rod sock mesh. I began using the frame from the first guide as my hook keeper. It tends to keep the hook aligned and positioned next to the rod rather than protruding from the side like with a hook keeper. I still get a tangle from time to time but nearly as often. And since the rod sock covers the entire lure it also keeps "lure pirates" at the dock from seeing what I'm throwing during bass tourneys! :) One thing, if I'm throwing something with treble hooks then I just use the bar on the baitcaster.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 08:05AM

I don't add a keeper on my personal rods I just add the Fuji hook keeper after the fact.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 08:05AM

I don't add a keeper on my personal rods I just add the Fuji hook keeper after the fact.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 10:24AM

After having rods that don't have hook keepers, and rods that do .... I would never build a rod without one.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 11:00AM

on some of my spinning rods with hook keeper in front of the fore grip
my line catches once in a while during retrieves especially when working light plastics with snappy retrieves that introduce slack into the line
any recommendations on hook keeper type and location?
no split grip so I can't move it below the reel

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-133.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:03PM

Bert,

Is your hook keeper on the bottom side of the rod, or did you put it out to one side?

Also, how far from the reel seat is your first guide, and what size is it?

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:53PM

For spinning rods, I always put them about 1-2 inches in front of the fore grip and angled down and to the side. i.e. I place the guide at about the 140 degree point or the 230 degree point on the rod.

I always ask the client if the fish with the right hand or the left hand.

The idea is that a fisherman will use his non favored hand to grab the lure or hook when ending his use of the rod. So, if the fisherman is a right handed person, he / she is typically holding the rod in the right hand. So, the lure or hook is grabbed in the left hand. For the right handed fisherman, I will put the hook keeper on the left side of the rod at the 230 degree point.

But, if the person is left handed, he/she will typically be holding the rod in the left hand, and will therefore grab the hook or lure in the right hand. Thus, I will put the hook keeper on the 140 degree point on the rod blank.

I do this, whether the rod is a casting rod or a spinning rod. In both cases, with the hook keeper in that position, I find that the line almost never catches on the hook keeper. But if it does catch, as soon as the line is a bit loose, the line loop will fall off of the hook keeper if it happened to be caught.

Good luck

Date: March 06, 2017 09:45PM

Chris
1st guide is about 21" from reel lip
guide is a KL-H 25
and hook keeper is 90 degrees off to one side about 4.5" from reel spool lip

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-143.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2017 09:07AM

Bert,

If you move it to the down side of the rod (and a little left if you like), and as close to the reel as you can, you will eliminate the line slapping onto it.

The other option is to do some creative bending. Better to move it.

Let me know how it works out,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 09:26AM by Chris Herrera.

Date: March 07, 2017 07:06PM

Chris - thank you
I will try that location and let you know how it works out once the weather warms up and the fish arrive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster