I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Antique rod restoration
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 07:29PM

I have a couple of my grandfather's old rods that I was looking to restore. There are no brand markngs on any of them so I cant begin to determine what they are. The glass screws into the top of the reel seat that is a forged metal seat. There are also pieces missing because the reels that are are on them are taped on.

I am merely restoring them for myself so I won't be doing anything crazy with them except for replacing the butt section of the cork along with the wraps.

Has anyone restored old rods like this, or aware of a resource that is good for this kind of stuff?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Antique rod restoration
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 08:11PM

Ken

Michael Sinclair's "The Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook" is, as you would guess, all about old bamboo rods. But, it is full of all sorts of tips, techniques, processes, and resources applicable to rods regardless of material.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 10:25PM

sounds like they are casting rods right ? and your missing the skip and screw pirces to hold the reel in place.
you can make new skips with a piece of brass or steel about one quarter inch thick and 7/8 ths long round one end and drill a hole {guessing the hole in the seat is 1/4 inch} then tap it 1/4 -20 and hit the hard ware store for a couple of round head screws and take a dremel and a round drum stone and just grind a shallow trough 1/8 from the drilled and tapped hole and you got that part fixed.
are you looking to use new guides or doing it true to the era ? the handles could be cast pot metal or cast aluminum more than likely they are aluminum they used that since the 30's for rod handles.

I would take them out doors after stripping off the old wrappings and guides and wipe them down with acetone and they will clean up like new then start your re wrapping and finishing processes and you will have some good memories of your grandfather for years to come.
If I can help you feel free to ask I will give you the best answers from my experience I can Matt

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:13AM

The first thing I need to do is to clean off all the glue residue that is left on the reel seat of the one rod. I could just use some steel wool for that, but I want to attempt to keep everything intact if I can. I did work on the one last night and I found out that the rod actually gets screwed into the reel seat. The butt cork section on the one also gets screwed in, while the other seems to be sitting on the blank. Yes they are all casting rods. I would love to be able to find the guides from the era so I can keep them as true as possible. Like I mentioned before, I won't be selling them so its not super important but I think having an antique rod with brand new guides makes it look a little weird. The craziest part is that the reels still work with very little restoration required. They were dirty but they all function.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 11:12AM

Hello Ken.

Can you post some pictures?
I have a bunch of old guides, who knows I may have a match to what you need.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 11:25AM

Yes Ken either post some pics or e mail me some and can give you better ideas and may be some of the guides you might need if you can clean off the glue that way do it but if it is from the tape you could get it off quick with dome denatured alcohol have a good day

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 03, 2017 11:33AM

I would post some pics..but not sure how i do that? I have to create a separate gallery login?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 01:18PM

Hello Ken.

Yes it is a separate log in but you can use the same password if you want to.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 01:30AM

Ken,
Congratulations and my hat is off to you. Your Grandfather would be proud and so will you when fishing the most special rods you will ever fish! Keep asking questions on this site and you will receive loads of assistance from many veterans much more qualified than me. One thing this newbie did with the NON-INSERT guides of a similar vintage rod was, obviously after removing them from the rod, soaking them in Tarnix. They really came out nice. But after the Tarnix, I also soaked them in a water-baking soda bath to neutralize the acidity. Keep us (at least me) posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 04, 2017 02:46PM

Thanks for the replies. I think at this time I will not do the restoration. There are several factors as to why not but the main reason is that I dont want to trash the rods. For now, I will clean them up and hang them on my office wall. When I feel more confident with my rod building skills, I may attempt at a future date.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster