I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Help
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2017 11:29PM

Hi,
Recently I got the parts together to build a casting rod for a friend of mine and I am having some issues with setting up the KR concept guides. I have the MHX MB873 rod with size 10 and 5.5 strippers, 3 size 5 belly guides, and 5 size 5 runners. My issue is while doing the static tests I:
1) always have line touching
2) am not sure if I have enough guides
3) cannot keep the guide feet from pulling out of the masking tape
I see a few options and would love some more experienced guys to weigh in. One is to simply spiral wrap the rod so I do not have to worry about line touching, only the sharp angles in line. Only issue with this is I have already epoxied the tip on as if it was a traditional rod. Another is to add guides until it works. Issue with this is I have two crankbait rods to build that I would have to pull parts from and then I would have to re-order which gets costly. I am fine with doing that as i do not want to half way do the rod but if there are better options I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks for all the advice and help ahead of time, this forum has made my life a lot easier the past few years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Help
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 12:05AM

You should be fine with 10 guides total on a medium heavy rod, especially using size 5 runners. Some of your problem is in the way you do the static test. I think the best way to static test is to use two lines. First run your line from the reel through the guides and attach a small weight to it and let it hang from the tip top.Tie another line to your tip top and tie it to an immovable object or a very heavy weight. Now do you static test. The guides will not twist or move since their is no real pressure on them and they also will not influence the flexing of the rod when the rod is loaded from the tip. This will give you a more accurate static test.
Norm

Date: March 02, 2017 12:41AM

Norm,
That is brilliant, I have never thought of that and it makes total sense. I will give that a shot! Is all I do is look for flat spots where blank touches line on the weighted line?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 07:05AM

Most builders don't consider line touching the blank to be a problem. If you want to build it as a spiral, consider the simple spiral. You may save a guide or two. the tiptop should be removable with care, but when replacing it, consider using hot melt ferrule cement so that subsequent removals will be easier. I would check with your customer before going spiral-some simply don't like looking down the blank at that arrangement. Place the 2nd guide on the same side of the rod as the reel handle so it will be up when the rod is placed on the boat deck.

Posted by: Frank Gyan (220.70.53.---)
Date: March 02, 2017 10:16AM

Is the spiral ok for casting? I thought only jigging rods were spiral.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2017 11:38AM

It's fine for casting. You may find that one method is better than another for casting, although they all seem to work fine. Tape up a set and go out and cast it if you want to rid yourself of any doubts prior to actually building one.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (157.89.197.---)
Date: March 02, 2017 01:30PM

I prefer going with the conventional. I have 3 i built spiraled and they just don't flip as well. It might be in my head. So it looks like I might be on the wrong train of thought when placing guides. What do you guys look for when building he casting rods spacing wise . It is a light flipping rod with a relatively soft tip. Thanks again. It seems like I have a lot of builds with more guides than I need if line touching isn't an issue. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 03:10PM by Ben Eipert.

Date: March 02, 2017 10:27PM

Customer decided on a sprial wrap, In the past I have done the first guide at 15 degrees, the third all the way around, and the second keeping line off the blank. Anything I should change about this?
Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2017 07:40AM

Make the second guide the "all the way around guide" and locate it at 180 degrees. After everything else is done, then go back and add one more, in-between the 1st and 2nd at about 90 degrees. The reason I spell it out this way is so that the 90 degrees guide will not re required to carry any load. You'll find it will lie about 4 inches or so beyond and before the 1s and 2nd guide. In other words, your 15 degree and 180 degree guides will only be about 8 to 10 inches apart.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 10:44AM

This should help...[anglersresource.net]

Date: March 03, 2017 02:33PM

Tom, Jim, thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster