I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bushido Jerkbait Rod
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 01, 2017 01:42PM

Hey guys considering building a Jerk Bait rod on the CB68 that is Moderate/Fast Action and Medium Power. I know the norm is to build on a F or even XF action for a jerkbait so you can get a quick recovery. But I also like the idea of the having the Moderate/Fast Action, and hoping that may give me the best of both worlds that I am considering. This is also not a glass blank, but rather a graphite. If not, then I may consider the SJ68 Medium/Fast Bushido Blank for jerks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bushido Jerkbait Rod
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 01:55PM

I'd go with the SJ68. IMO the CB line recovers to slowly for jerk baits. The CB line is great for heavier jigs and of course crank baits.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 01:55PM

Either one of those will work fine but I am like you and prefer a mod/fast action....

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 05:27PM

It depends what the fish want. The old traditional jerkbait rod was glass, some with weight added to slow them down, but those most likely will not catch a single fish (smallmouth) on Lake St Clair in the fall. Those fish want a fast twitch, and will not hit anything other than that. Times have changed, and most fishermen are going with graphite, which is faster and easier to get a faster jerk. But a moderate action still will make it hard to catch a fish that wants a really quick twitch.

so if I were going for fish like that, I would go for a fast action, or extra fast.

One thing to consider is that if the fish want it slow, any action can do that with proper (if difficult) control by the fisherman. But if they want it " quick twitch, " you just cannot get it with a moderate action.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 08:30AM

Here's an idea ..... buy a fast or extra fast action blank that is longer than you need, and trim length from the butt. It slows the overall action of the blank when the blank is under the load of a fish, but it doesn't affect the tip when casting or working the bait.

You lose a little hook setting power by trimming the butt, but it's a jerkbait. it's not like you're blasting the fish on a hook set.

Just something to consider .....

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 02, 2017 09:16AM

I do like the idea of a Moderate Fast blank, it does have distinct advantages in certain areas once the fish is hooked up. BUT, I also do not want to hinder the action of the bait, or make it more of a struggle to create the correct cadence. My fear is the Moderate Fast will not be responsive enough when working a quicker cadence. Guess I am not sure just how slow of a blank it is. May be better off sticking with the other blank, that has a Fast action.

As far as trimming a blank, this may be a dumb question, but what blade are you guys using to cut these down? Never cut one down before so not sure.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 12:24PM

Hello Jay.

A Dremel or a chop saw for me.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: March 02, 2017 02:54PM

Jay, for me I really prefer the fast and extra fast. I would lean more towards the extra fast. I do find that at 6'8" I whack the trolling motor and side more than I would like. I just built one that is 6'3" but haven't had the chance to fish it but am also going to order the st croix 3c62mxf and really think that this will be "it". I used an mhx sj783 that I took off 3" from the butt.

Regarding cutting, I will tape where I want to cut, put on a dust mask and I use a regular chop saw or as some call them a miter saw. I cut slowly and don't try to hawh through it. It cuts super quick and my shop vac catches any errant dust or fibers. I only cut from the butt of the blank. I would not try my setup if I were to trim the tip. In that case I would use the dremel as previously suggested.

Tom

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 10:14PM

Have had good luck with Revelation blanks, wonder if the REVS62M would fit the bill. Medium power, fast action 1/4-5/8 weights.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 10:34PM

I fish both the SJ 72/4-8 and the SJ 72/8-15 as well as the crank bait rod.. CB78/8-15 I use braid on all three rods, and use a Fluorocarbon leader on the Crank bait rod.. with no stretch in the braid, bait twitch speed is not a problem.. My favorite blank is the SJ72/4-8. I really like it for twitching top water Rapalas, and Pop R's.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2017 07:44AM

I use a Dremel to cut the blank as well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 09:32AM

I use a Dremel tool with a fiberglass-reinforced cut-off wheel and a light touch. I worry a saw blade might jump around and splinter the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster