I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS for non-fly rods
Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: March 01, 2017 11:03AM

Hello everyone,

I'm just curious if there is a database of CCS information for blanks that are not a fly rod?

Thanks,
Gib

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS for non-fly rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2017 12:38PM

There was but I believe it went away when the owner dropped the site. Although it seems as if someone else either picked it up or started a new one. Someone here probably knows for sure.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 01, 2017 01:24PM

I may be wrong, but didn't the one on the NFC site cover all their blanks?

Date: March 01, 2017 02:14PM

Pacific Bay and NFC have it, but as far as a database comprised of builders' measurements for a wide variety of blanks, I think that went away when Bob stopped hosting the site.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 12:04PM

Gib,
Good question and I have wondered about and hoped for the same. After all, there are spin and casting anglers out here also. If you discover an “other than fly” CCS, I would be indebted to acquire a copy.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 02, 2017 01:15PM

[www.wetconcepts.com]
select spinning and casting tab at the bottom. It is old.

Date: March 04, 2017 01:43AM

Thank you for taking the time, Rick. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I was hoping for a system/method and formula to test any rod or blank. Does such exist?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 09:16AM

Go the Common Cents info link, top left.
[www.common-cents.info]
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 10:53AM

Mark,
The common cents system does not care what kind of blank it is, had a gentleman want a comparison with an existing rod to a blank. It took just about all the pennies you can put in a 16 ounce Snapple bottle to get it done.

Date: March 04, 2017 11:12AM

Right, the CCS doesn't measure fly rods, it measures action, power and speed. All rod blanks have these inherent characteristics. Sort of like a weight scale - it doesn't measure people, parcels, lead, etc., it measures weight.

Date: March 08, 2017 04:29PM

Norman, Spencer and Tom,
Thanks, and I realize that. However, it would be very nice to be able to measure an old, unmarked rod or blank to achieve a line weight in lbs consistent with spinning and casting rods rather than line size as consistent for fly rods. Is there a simple formula?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 06:08PM

Hello Mark.

To convert from Fly to Spin: 1wt.= 1/8th oz., 2wt.= 3/16th oz., 3wt.= 1/5th oz., 4wt.= 1/4 oz., 5wt.= 5/16th oz., 6wt.= 3/8th oz., 7wt.= 3/5th oz., 8wt= 1/2 oz., 9wt.= 9/16th oz., 10wt.= 2/3rd oz., 11wt.= 3/4 oz., 12wt.= 7/8th-1 oz.
Beyond that I don't have the numbers, someone on this site gave me these numbers(Tom?), don't remember.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 07:48PM

See table C on page 8 of this link: [www.common-cents.info]
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 10:37AM

Hello Norman.

Thanks, how did I miss that one?
Much better than what I was given before.

Thanks again.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster