I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Random Paint Wraps
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2017 09:56AM

Hello All,
The article "Random Paint Wraps Revisited" by Ron Harris was recently published in Rod Maker magazine, I found it quite interesting,
However, I tried it on some test spools of thread and the paint stripes spread to 1/4" wide to 1/2" wide. The other issue is the
paint is being absorbed by the thread so much that the paint color is dull and not a bright white?

Anyone else tried this technique? ANy suggestions?

Mikew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Random Paint Wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2017 11:13AM

I had to duplicate the article instructions for the photos and if I had any problem it was exactly the opposite from yours - I couldn't seem to get much penetration beyond a layer or so and very little "bleed." I actually preferred the earlier method where paint pens were used. I did find that the colors popped back up a bit once finish was applied.

Only thing I can think to recommend is that you put on less paint, try a different brand and/or make very sure that your paint is well mixed and filled with pigment so that it is not so thin as to run and spread much.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2017 12:18PM

Use to do it a lot an I have found over the years that the vinyl jig paint works the best for me with a good sable brush the model hobby paint being an enamel doesn't get along with nylon thread as well.
but keep the rod turning till you complete the line then you won't get drips or bleeding.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2017 01:50PM

This is done on the spool, not the rod, but the tip on vinyl jig paint might be a good one.

Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2017 07:27PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the inputs...

Mikew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster