I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Minima guides heights / "Match frame" ?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2017 06:49PM

Mark, use the SV 25 as a stripper. It is approximately the same height as a M 16, which is a very good height for an ultra light rod and reel. The SV 20 is about the same as a M 12 and is just too short for my liking.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 28, 2017 08:51PM

If I was in CA I would 't be ordering Pac-Bay stuff from Florida. No offense Florida.

Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2017 10:22PM

I have a chart that shows the Minima guide heights and shows options for transition layout. I don't know how to post a PDF here so I sent to your email. I use that as a starting point and adjust from there.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 04:27PM

Norman, Lynn and John,
Thank you a bunch.
Norman, comforting to learn my thought of probably needing an M-25 for the stripper reflects your veteran opinion. I understand and agree. I think I’ll order an M-20 also, as I would rather use it for appearance sake unless it ends up 30in from the reel face. lol
Lynn, I am not thrilled with ordering “from Florida” either as their shipping costs and pathetically long delivery time is frustrating at best. No lol. What cha got as an alternative?
John, I received the M guide chart and it will greatly assist. Can you wrap the guides for me also? lol
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 04:54PM

If I need Fuji stuff I seem to be stuck with Fla., otherwise Utmost and Schneider's. I just sent my wife's and my passports back for renewal by certified mail for the same cost I'll be paying to ship 3 guides and a tiptop to me from the sunshine state. Just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 05:04PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: March 01, 2017 06:01PM

Mark - The 20 M will work fine its got plenty of height, with the KR GPS it will not be any further from the spool tip then about 19" - 21" at most. I know you do not like micros, so if you get the minima 20M pair it a 10M, and a 6M for the reduction train, and use either SV or F guides as runners in size 6 or 5. Remember the ID of these guides is larger than a ceramic ringed guide of the same size. You can even use a size 4 minima runner since it's ID will be close to a size 5 ceramic guide, thus the minimas are not as 'micro' as other guides of the same size. They also have a long and wide foot and are easy to wrap. I do not like muxing different style guides in the reduction train, I.e. M with SV. Just does not look right, but that's me. It ok to use a different style as running guides; all SV or all F. The minima SS guides are very inexpensive, you might as well buy several sets of guides utilizing different sizes of M, SV, and F guides and experiment with them. Several sets will cost no more than a set of KR guides. Lynn is right order you minimas from Utmost, they are in Washington which is closer to you.
Norm

Date: March 01, 2017 08:55PM

Thanks Lynn and Norman; Utmost it will be.
Even being a newbie, I would have to agree with Norman concerning mixing reduction guide styles, at least from an appearance point of view. I am using three Fuji LCs for a surf rod I am building rather than just one for the stripper which is more common. It is good to learn an SV-20 might be sufficient for the stripper. Inversely from my last post, I’ll order an M-25 also just to be safe.
Sorry to continue to be a bother, but are there any appropriate top options other than the FM or PT? Being for micro builds, the largest FM is a 4, which probably has a ring ID similar to a size 5, which is still a tick smaller than a preferred size 6, but from photos in catalogues, looks nicer than a PT. But then, the smallest PT is a 6 which probably has a ring ID similar to a size 7. Decisions, decisions, I don’t know whether to sit or get off the pot.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 01, 2017 11:05PM

Mark you may have mistyped in your last post, but not sure. The 20M and 16M are both high enough and either can be used as a stripper for your ultralight. However, the 20SV is too short and will not make a good stripper. A 25SV is fine for a stripper it is similar in height to a 16M. A 25M is very high and in my opinion too high for an ultralight rod and reel.
Norm

Date: March 01, 2017 11:50PM

Forgot to mention, if you use size 6F or 6SV runners the PT top will match perfect, If you use size 5 runners could use either a PT or FM top, one is a little larger the other a little smaller. Buy one of each and see what you like. Since these guides are so inexpensive, this would be a good time to experiment. While you are at it get some size 4 runners to try. If you do not like them I will buy them back from you. I use them all the time on ultra light and light spin rods. Temporarily position the guides and test cast to see what configuration you like best. This exercise will provide some valuable insight on how various guide trains perform, and enable you to put together a more expensive set of guides later without guessing what sizes to buy.
Norm

Date: March 02, 2017 12:05AM

Norman,
You are correct. Actually I did not mistype but misbrained. I would like to use the SVs for the look, and if the stripper has to be a 25 then so be it. That should really make the rod look like from the 50s or 60s. But I will still order a size 20 just in case.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 02, 2017 12:25AM

If you are using light braid or very light mono (2-4 # test) on a 1000 or smaller size ultralight reel, you can probably get by with a 20 SV stripper. Might need to place it a little further away from the reel spool to get a nice straight line. However, the further you push the stripper forward the more chance for line slap. If using mono I would move up to the size 25 SV, this will work well with both light mono and braid.
Norm

Date: March 02, 2017 12:41PM

Norman,
I have no use for anything but 2 or 4# line on very small UL reels to give those feisty trout a bit of a chance. I use P-Line Floroclear which I guess is mono with a fluorocarbon coating. Unfortunately, possibly a blessing, I don’t think even my habitual-over-thinking can produce proficient guide leg extensions. Lol. I will attempt to make the SV-20 work but will have a 25 available if required. I will probably order a set of Ms as well just to physically see, feel, touch and taste them compared to KL-Hs. As mentioned earlier, the SS ones are rather inexpensive, even for a cheap bas#@*d like me.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 02, 2017 09:03PM

It's fun to experiment, you can learn a lot!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster