I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam core grip/glass sleeve questions
Posted by: Matt Bregartner (150.131.108.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 10:42AM

Pretty much decided on doing two foam core grips with colored fiberglass sleeves and have a few questions.

Does color of the foam core matter when colored fiberglass sleeves are used? More specifically, do the colored sleeves have any transparency?

What epoxies have people used? Searching on the net I see many 2:1 ratio epoxies advertised for carborn fiber wetting, some much cheaper than others.

For the outer coating of a fiberglass sleeve, how many additional coats of finish are people using before sanding? I know extra care needs to be done for glass sleeves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam core grip/glass sleeve questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2017 10:49AM

They are not transparent, but if sized too small so that you have to stretch them over the foam core, you will be able to see the foam core through openings in the glass mesh.

Just about any two part epoxy is fine for wetting out and sealing. I use West Systems 105 and 207, but others have used old finish epoxy and gotten perfect results. You do not want to sand into the glass as unlike carbon, it will "fuzz." So add a good sealer coat on top of the glass, even two perhaps, sand that smooth and top off with a urethane. Or, if you're not looking for a smooth surface and want texture, just top off with urethane without any additional sealer coats.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 12:33PM

I want to try this too: is there a way I can experiment with these without spending a ton of money? I want to be able to do it from scratch, pouring my own foam cores and all, but I don't want to have to shell out $100 or $150 for a kit, if I end up not liking them.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 12:33PM

I want to try this too: is there a way I can experiment with these without spending a ton of money? I want to be able to do it from scratch, pouring my own foam cores and all, but I don't want to have to shell out $100 or $150 for a kit, if I end up not liking them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2017 01:30PM

You can probably get in it for about $50, and which would make a dozen or more grips.

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 02:11PM

Tom, do you have a recommendation for the plug for a fighting butt after the rod is built? I'm thinking of either cutting a plug out either the foam or rubberized cork, covering the plug in glass and finishing it like the rest of the handle, and epoxying it in the hole.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 03:06PM

There is an inexpensive solution called a rubber butt cap plug, it protects the grip without having a lot of presence.

Posted by: Dick Ross (96.5.130.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 04:56PM

I have used the rubber butt plugs and they work well. I have also inlet buttons into the end and have also capped off the end with wood/cork/eva and mounted like a normal closed of butt end. looking at my cost from my suppliers and these are in the smallest quantities I can get
1 qt epoxy /1 pint hardener -25.00
1 qt of part A & B 8 lb expanding foam- 25.00 I buy both 8 and 4 lb foam and mix them to get 6 lb cores
1.25" CF sleeving-2.75/ft

there are of course other expenditures- mandrel, brushes,top coat finishes, rubber gloves, zip ties or plastic hose clamps etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster