I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait rod for Pointer 78sp
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 26, 2017 09:25PM

Looking for a new jerkbait rod. I am going to throw Pointer 78sp's almost exclusively. I am currently using 5C68MXF's,4C68MXF,4C66MF(previously listed as their jerkbait rod until they lengthened it to 6'8") Lamiglass IC781, Lamiglass XMG722, Swampland SB742, 5C60MF as well as the MHX SB812.

I do have an MHX SJ783 that I cut down to 6'3 and really like the way that it feels but haven't fished since the weather is not cooperating this weekend. Right now I like the 6'8"MXF's and the 6'6"MF but think that I can improve on them.

I am considering the MHX MB753XF, St.Croix 3C62MXF as well as the Immortal IMMS62MXF walleye blank.

Let me know what you guys think with any other suggestions that you might have as well.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 09:08AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait rod for Pointer 78sp
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 07:16AM

I use the 6' 8" rod exclusively but also throw slender pointers 112mr and 100sp, this also makes a great rico top water rod. That being said it is easy to hit the gunnel on the side of the boat or the trolling motor. You are on track with the 3c62mxf as I use that for a tube jig rod on the river and though not specifically built by me to throw pointers I have thrown both the 112mr and sp100's on it. Its nice in that the shorter rod doesn't hit the boat or trolling motor as much. Hope that helps.

DG

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 09:00AM

I'm using the Immortal rod, I shortened, for worm fishing and it's outstanding. I think it would be too short to work the lure when in a boat. In a kayak it would be fine.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 10:14PM

Sounds like I will build a couple to see which I like the best.

Thanks
Tom

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2017 08:40AM

I throw jerkbaits quite a bit, and because of that I built a rod (actually the first rod I ever built) specifically for throwing jerkbaits. Not really a specific blank recommendation, but more of an, something to think about rod design idea.

I built my jerkbait rod on a trimmed (6" off the butt) medium power, fast action blank. It still behaves like a fast action when casting, when working the bait, and when setting the hook, but once it's under the load of a fish it behaves like the moderate fast action crankbait rods I own. It gets a nice bend into the mid section of the blank, and really keeps the fish buttoned up.

I absolutely love it and couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out.

Just something to think about.

If you're curious as to what blank I used, I used an MHX SJ783 and trimmed it down to 6'. I throw pretty much any bait 5 1/4" or shorter with it. And ..... it makes a dandy topwater rod as well.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: February 28, 2017 09:25AM

David, sounds like we're both of the same thought train. I used that same blank and cut mine to 6'3". I was reading through the archives after I had built the SJ783 and came across your post. I haven't been able to fish it yet but am excited to see what it will do.

I may try the st croix and the batson blank as I haven't built those before. Worst come to worse it will sit in the corner with all of the other experiments I've put together. Thankfully I have a wife who doesn't get overly upset with all of my projects.

I do have a multitude of 6'ers that I tried in both 2 & 3 powers and for certain situations I do like them but I think that 6'2 -6'3" is going to be the real sweet spot.

Thanks guys
Tom

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (74.118.178.---)
Date: February 28, 2017 05:41PM

Wow, for me personally I think that mhx sj783 is way too powerful for those little 3/8 oz jerkbaits. I'd be afraid of over working the bait. The 782 would be a better fit imo. The 783 is a pretty stout blank. I've found the Mhx popping blanks pretty close to perfect for jerkbaits. Still has a fast tip, but loads up really nice. Keeps fish pinned. Not a big mhx fan, but the medium heavy high mod popping blank is a keeper.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2017 08:50AM

Mark, you're right, it is a little stout for a 3/8 oz bait. For me personally, I'd rather have the power and not use it, and need the power and not have it. That and I don't throw a lot of the smaller jerks. Mostly 4 1/2" up to 5 1/4" baits that weigh close to a half ounce or a little more.

I tell ya one thing though ...... it will work the heck out of a Lucky Craft 90 Staysee SP, or aRapala down deep Shadow Rap. Just got one of the KVD deep jerks to give a try this year. Thinkin it's gonna do a good job with that too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster