I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for 8ft 6 or 7 weight fly rod blank
Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2017 11:20AM

Hi, I'm looking for an 8ft fly rod blank for smallmouth bass fishing in a big creek. There are to many over hanging limbs for anything longer, I've been using a 7wt. St. Croix Mojo Bass fly rod that works fine but I want to build one as I prefer to use rods that I have built. The only fly blank I can find in 8ft that might fit what I'm looking for is the Sage Bass II blanks but I don't know which one would be equivalent to a 6 or 7 weight. Does anybody know? Thanks in advance.

Herb Bickings

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for 8ft 6 or 7 weight fly rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2017 11:34AM

If you're not casting very far, you might do better with an 8' in a 5-weight rigged with a 6-weight line. It'll load a lot easier and facilitate shorter casts, say under 40 feet or so. Plus, there are many 8' 5-weight blanks available.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2017 05:54PM

You might want to look into Fiberglass for that blank. The CTS Quartz can be ordered that short, Steffen Brothers, ect. I'd place your line weight requirement on the size of the streamers or flies you want to be casting, plus what size bass you are going to tangle with.

Posted by: Michael Gardiner (---.pfcz2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 27, 2017 03:45AM

Herb the 230g is the 6 / 7 weight of the bass ii series you can confirm this by the bass ii lines that sage sell the 230g line is marketed as 6/7 weight

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 08:49PM

Thanks Michael, that's the info I was looking for.

Herb Bickings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster