I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait vs popping for chatterbait
Posted by: Ryan South (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:14PM

So I've built a few rods but I haven't gotten into reaction type blanks yet. I am a huge fan of the rainshadow blanks so far but I am open to any brand. Just looking for opinions on a 1/2 oz chatterbait rod, I really could use some help on the difference between a mh popping blank vs a mh graphite or glass cranking blank. I fish in some milfoil and thick grass but mostly semi sparse stuff. Anything helps, thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait vs popping for chatterbait
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 11:08PM

the difference is the action flex of the rod ex fast ,fast and fast mod you will have to decide which one is best for you.

do you want to be able to hit super hard on a strike and chance you will rip out the hook or a moderate fast and get a solid hook set and still have enough back bone to handle the weeds and fish.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ryan South (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 11:41PM

I understand f mf mod, I was more wondering about a mh cranking blank vs mh popping blank, both seem to have mod-f actions and if they are both mh powers, what are the different characteristics between the two?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 11:28AM

I'm not convinced action has anything to do with whether , or not a blank is suitable for treble hooks, after all XF hotshot blanks that have been around for decades were exclusively designed for treble hooks. I'm convinced the actual power of the blank is the deciding factor. The power in a MH mag bass, and MH crankbait, or popping blank are not the same. The crankbait and popping rod blanks however have similar final powers.
Extra Fast action rods are softer tipped in relation to the the final power of the blank, they throw a wider range of lure weights, but if you look at the range of weights they seem to throw lighter weights better, if that's the case how can the tip have more power, and set the hook faster and better?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 12:55PM

The biggest differences between the glass and graphite in the actions you mention are that the glass will most likely be heavier and recovery will be slower. Both should work fine.

At least that is my opinion.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 01:51PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The biggest differences between the glass and
> graphite in the actions you mention are that the
> glass will most likely be heavier and recovery
> will be slower. Both should work fine.
>
> At least that is my opinion.

100% correct the type of hook means nothing as some lures come with what is called a swash hook one single hook like some of the soft plastic rubber popping top water lures and spoons come with IE frog & mouse plastic lures and pike and salt water inshore spoons
it is about the movement of the rod when setting a hook ex fast, fast you move the rod a shorter distance to set the hook upper third of the blank flexes.
moderate fast upper two thirds of the blank flexes longer distance moved for hook set.
hook type or style used has nothing to do with rod action it comes down to individuals choice and how they want the rod to react to a hook set

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 06:25PM

Ryan if I may offer a suggestion. Instead of my opinion on what works well, let me tell you what my customers that use these in tournament situations tell me. What I build on is a Rodgeeks CG70MHM blank which is an S-glass rod. It is rated for 8-20 lb. line and 3/8 -1 oz. lures which is within the range of most chatter baits they use. What is different is if you compare this blank to other S-Glass blanks is that it is light in weight. Most customers that hold it can't believe that it is an S-GLass based on old experiences. It has plenty of power and I have been told that another reason they like this blank so much is that they don't lose fish once hooked. I order these unpainted which adds to the reduction in weight but that is probably not significant. What is significant is the demand for this rod blank and my ability to keep up on orders. If you are not familiar with the story behind the Rodgeeks do a search on this site.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 06:30PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2017 07:49AM

In regards to the OPs question, I would think there would be little if any difference between the characteristics of the blanks if both have the same action and power. As Michael mentioned previously, the material the blank is made of could result in one blank weighing more, especially in the upper third of the blank, and that weight would slow the blank's recovery.

As far as a couple of the other posts related to rod power and hook type go, IMO it's not quite as black and white as it may seem. While Hot Shot rods may have been designed for use with treble hooked lures, they weren't designed for a horizontal moving presentation. The lure is basically stationary or sweeping laterally in front of the fish. I've never officially "hot shotted" but I have wade fished for steelhead and let river current sweep spoons and minnow baits across and down current of my position. It works rather well at times, but it's not the same as retrieving a chatterbait or even a crankbait where the fish is chasing down the lure. A slower action rod definitely helps when using horizontal presentations. Especially if the angler happens to have their reel spooled with braided line.

There is no doubt in my mind, and it has proven itself many times out on the water, that when using a horizontal retrieve, a slower action rod allows a fish to get the bait deeper into its mouth, resulting in more solidly hooked and more landed fish. Increase the speed of the retrieve and the advantage of a slower action is even more pronounced.

I definitely agree that power wise a MH mag bass blank, (fast action) and a MH crankbait or popping blank (moderate fast or moderate action) with the same lure weight ratings, do not feel the same. And they may not have the same power. I've never measured them using the CCS to find out. All I can do is offer what I think is an appropriate analogy. And that would be to compare the feeling of power of a big block V8, to the feeling of power of a small block V8 of the same horsepower.

Even though both engines have the same horsepower, the big block feels more powerful. It has more torque and its power comes in more quickly. It is the fast action mag taper bass blank. The small block has less torque, and its power takes longer to come in. It is the moderate fast or moderate action crankbait blank.

Same power ....... they just feel entirely different.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 09:09AM

I use the same rod I use for spinnerbaits. 6'6" fast mh. The crankbait rod is too soft IMO.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2017 11:34PM

It depends on line. If you are using fluorocarbon or braid I would use the crankbait as you want some give so you do not pull the bait from the fish or rip lips. If you are using monofilament you would want the popping rod for the extra backbone to get a solid hookset. You can either have the give in your rod or your line. i typically choose a softer rod for chatterbaits as I throw fluorocarbon or braid depending on cover and clarity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster