I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrules
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 09:01PM

Gentlemen,

I have been asked by a friend to build a multi-piece travel rod 5' to fit in his motorcycles saddle bags for a trip he is planning in April. The longest any section can be is about 16 inches. I have searched, but have been unable to locate anything manufactured to fit the bill. So, I figured I could build it by cutting a one piece into multiple sections. The only problem with that is, while I have built many rods and tried most things, I have never tried building ferrules. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Doug Moore

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrules
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2017 09:26PM

Several articles on ferrule making in past issues of RodMaker. It's a subject that would require more than a forum post. It can be successfully done, but requires careful measuring and fitting of the pieces. You're looking at a fairly huge amount of work.

Date: February 24, 2017 09:56PM

That much I had figured out, but I'm willing to give it a try... Heck I learn something every time I try something new... What past issues would you recommend?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: February 24, 2017 09:56PM

That much I had figured out, but I'm willing to give it a try... Heck I learn something every time I try something new... What past issues would you recommend?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: February 24, 2017 09:57PM

Sorry for the double click!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:32PM

I'll have to dig through them over the weekend.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:54PM

What type of fishing, what species? How about a Tenkara rod if fishing for trout.

Re: Ferrules.
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 11:31PM

What is this rod going to be used for? Tom is correct it will take some careful measurements and planning to get equal length rod sections. There are basically two ways to attempt this. The first one is to make spigot ferrules and the second is to make over-sleeve ferrules. You could use metal ferrules but the weight of the ferrules will be more than the blank itself. For spigot ferrules you can use pieces from a solid fiberglass blank with a similar taper to your blank. Pieces of solid fiberglass for the spigot can be sanded to match the ID of the butt section so that a portion protrudes for which the ID of next section will snugly fit over. You need to have at least a 1/8" gap between the two blank sections to allow for wear. This will require trimming back either the tip of the butt section or the butt of the tip section of the blank 1/8". You repeat the process for the next section.and so on. The spigot will be glued in to the butt section and the length of the protruding spigot needs to be taken into account for determining where to cut the blank. The overlap for each of the two blank sections should be between 1 1/2" - 2" . For over-sleeve ferrules you can buy an addtional blank with the same taper, and this blank can be used to make the over sleeves. Or if you have a stash of broken rods you can use them for making sleeves. Do not use thick walled blanks. The length of the ferrule over lap needs to be accounted for when cutting the blank, and the ferrule overlap will be between 1 1/2" - 2", with a 1/8" wear gap. I certainly would not do this using a high end blank, use the most inexpensive blank you can find. Tried to make this explanation short, but if you have further questions just ask.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 12:40AM

I might suggest that you friend just buy a telescopic rod - for example:

Tough, inexpensive and ready to fish.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 02:30AM

Doug,
I spent quite a bit of time developing a method to make my own FG internal/external ferrules, for sectioning the one piece vintage FG rods I build, using the blank itself as a mold/buck. I call them the CARL = Continuous Arch Rod Link. They work awesome, disturbing the natural flex curve of the original blank extremely little and weigh less than 3g for each set. I haven’t found much interest here on the rodboard, but if you are interested, email me and I would be glad to share so as not to clutter up the rodboard. They are inexpensive to make, strong yet flexible, inherently identical tapers, and require one to two hours to fabricate from start to fitting finish.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 08:58AM

Mark, sounds interesting. I would be interested in your technique. Back 45 yrs ago if you wanted a two piece rod you used metal ferrules, which I disliked. Some companies back then sold rods with either the sleeve or spigot type ferrules, so I copied these and started making my own using old broken rods as a source of ferrule material trying to match the modulus so as to maintain a smooth curve at the ferrule.These worked very well but can be a hit or miss proposition that required a lot of dry fitting, measuring, and testing. I measured multiple times and cut once. Hopefully your method might be simpler.Thanks
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 10:17AM

Hello Doug.

There are a lot of things about ferrules From Alignment marks (V-6 / I-1 / Pg.-10) to complete manufacturing (V-16 / I-2 /Pg.-12).

However I think you are just interested in the Mfg. ones so I have 3 I think will help starting from the ones I would read first, 1. V-16 / I-2 /Pg.-12, 2. V-4 / I-4 / Pg.-22, and 3. V-17 / I-3 / Pg.-10.

Still working on my data base but I think I got them all, if anyone knows of others, Speak-up.

PS- I found another story in V-16 / I-2 / Pg. 12.

Hope this gets the job done.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 09:49AM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: February 25, 2017 11:01AM

Thanks, Bob...!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 11:03AM

No Problem.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 03:44PM

i agree with roger...i make these types with cabelas telescopic pan fish rods..each section is about one foot long...they come in 10 12 feet lengths...just make your rod fro m the first 5 or 6 feet..i,ve made several fly rods from the first 8 to 9 feet and just cut the tip section back to handle the different line sizes i want to use...put afly guide at each junction. you don,t have to worry about guide alignment until you get out on the water. lol. one big negative is your guides are not in optimim positions...don,t hair pin these rods in the least bit, i,ve broken two so far and i,m trying not to. but they ae cheap and very easy to build and fit nicely in my kickboat pouches..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 11:20PM

Norman,
If you are still interested, please afford me the time to properly produce a production procedure and I will email it to you to avoid contaminating the Rodboard.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster