I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spiral wrap
Posted by: bob graves (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 24, 2017 07:38PM

Hi there

I am building a 7 foot bass rod and want to do the spiral guides. Can anyone help me with the guide set up, the angles and the spacing, using casting guides and trigger seat.

Thanks

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spiral wrap
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 08:55PM

[youtu.be]
some ideas

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: February 24, 2017 09:48PM

Just finished a simple spiral rod that worked well (first one). Your stripper at 0 then your 180 dagree guide with a guide in the middle at 90 dagrees (smallest guide you can get away with). If you use the search bar and type "simple spiral" you will get mucho information!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:26PM

Bob,
Do a search for Steve Gardner utilizing all dates for the search criteria and you will find all you will want to know. I use a 6mm dbl foot followed by single foot 5,4 and then 3's to the tip and even sometimes2.5's or even 2's depending on what I am going to do with the blank. I do not utilize braid and flouro or mono. I only utilize a setup of strictly braid or strictly fluorocarbon and have no knots to worry about. The 6mm is on the 0 degree axis the 5 is on the 60 degree axis, the 4 is on the 120 degree and the runners are all on the 180 axis. I will have to look through my data to give you the spacing.

Hope that this helps a bit.

Tom

Posted by: robert rowlette (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:55PM

hey bob i have done a couple one for offshore jigging and one for a baitcaster. proper guides help. you dont want lowriders as they will rub the blank on the twist. just mark placement and eyball the twist with tape then bend the rod.im sure theres a scientific method but im just a regular joe.if the reel has a levelwind line lay shouldnt be a problem.if it doesnt then you actually have to wrap a few degrees opposite the twist so the line enters the center of the spool. you said bass rod so you shouldnt have to worry about line lay.i emailed a couple pics

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 11:08PM by robert rowlette.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 12:42AM

Bob,
Just use the same setup as you would use for a conventional rod. Just spiral the guides around the rod as you wrap. The one exception would be the 2nd guide if you use only a partial spiral - as is the case for a revolver wrap. In that case, you want the 2nd guide to be a very short guide since its only purpose is to keep the line from rubbing the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 05:15AM

I have posted this before but here it is again. This is how I do a spiral and what Roger says is correct. The stripper guide and the next two guides can be moved around from their spacing and position on the radius to keep the line off the blank and to help keep the line as straight as possible going through the transition. When static testing the line should stay off the blank. My guide train is an RV 6, 5, and the rest 4s, On a 7 foot rod the stripper should be about 21" to 22" from the front of the reel. I have found no benefit to guide rings smaller than 4mm or a bunch of different sized guides. Here is the previous post:

This is how I do it and it can be applied to conventional wrapped rods also. It helps resolve the question of guide spacing.
Bend the blank to 90° and mark the top of the arc. Mark about 3 inches behind the "arc" mark toward the reel seat. This is where you want your line to be under the rod at 180° by. Mount the reel you are going to use and tape the line about 1" before the "arc" mark to the bottom 180° of the blank. This will be your choke point. Mount the first stripper guide that is closest to the reel in a position/distance where the line will pass through the middle of the ring at 0°. I like 0° because it looks right to me but it probably doesn’t make a difference. Put the next guide at around 45° where the line passes again through the center of the ring on the guide. Guide 3 (3rd from reel) mount around 135° with the line in the middle of the guide ring. Guide 4, same thing except this one will be mounted at 180°. The running guide train should be spaced to accommodate this spacing so that it looks right. This will keep the line off the blank and your line will be on bottom by the 4th guide and behind the main arc of the blank. Keep the line from the reel as straight as possible through the transition with your guide alignment. You may want to turn the feet of the guides at angle in alignment with the flow of the line on the transition guides. Static test with the guides on to insure the line is not touching the blank, adjust as necessary.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2017 07:25AM

This conversation can be very overwhelming for the beginner to understand. Just look at the answers above, and the ones that will surely follow. There are so many ways to do a spiral that is mind boggling if you're trying to grasp the concept for the first time.

The easiest way to achieve what you're looking to do is the "Simple Spiral". Search this page for those words. It really is the easiest, most straightforward method.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: February 27, 2017 01:33PM

When doing the simple spiral with Fuji K guides, should the first 180 guide be a KB or KW? I will be doing my first one soon and understand all the concepts but still wonder how to place that first 180.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 03, 2017 07:17AM

Ok, Im gonna ask a stupid question here...what is the advantage of creating a spiral setup? The novice rod builder in me is intrigued to understand the reason why. The fisherman in me is asking why mess with something that has worked for me in the past.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: March 07, 2017 12:15PM

Use the search feature and do the research. It's been hashed over many times.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster