I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turks head
Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2017 05:14PM

having trouble when finishing a turks head (gluing ends together) any advise out there? I have a copy of Rooster rods CD on using cord for rod handles, but it does not address tying the ends together, other than to use super glue

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turks head
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2017 11:08PM

I usually just make sure its tight and trim the tag ends without glue. Never had a problem. I know some rod builders put finish over the turks heads, but over time it looks crusty. What kind of cord are you using?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 02:39AM

you could just use a bit more cord and then tuck the ends in the same as you do a guide wrap
this might help you > video [www.animatedknots.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 24, 2017 09:17AM

In the service we just frayed the cord to flatten it than pulled it under the rest, just like finishing a cord wrap on a grip or rod. Put finish on and stays pretty longer, don't, and they look dirty like cork over time, but clean up worse. SIx of one, half a dozen of another.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 04:13PM

Being a newbie, I have only done a few Turks head knots, unlike the veterans who have responded. I like to pull the tag end under the body of the knot, cut close, melt the end with a small tip soldering iron and push the melted end into the knot where it cannot be seen. To lessen the bump where the tag end goes under the knot, the outer sheath can be pulled back and the core cut, but it can be a pain in the posterior. While I do use CP, I do not use thread finish to retain a more natural look and accept the fact it will be difficult to keep clean. The tag end can be cut and melted where it ends in the knot also, but I like the additional security of the knot itself confining the tag. The only cord I have used is “Atwood” which is some type of meltable plastic such as nylon or polypropylene.
After using Turks head knots on a couple rods, I decided to utilize my new “knot skills” to replace the small, nearly worn-out tackle bag my daughter made for my trout fishing. I tied it around a 3.5in diameter cardboard tube and kept expanding the 5 X 7 Turks head until I ended up with something like a 36 X 36, but did not tighten the weave to allow the top to be closed with a pull cord. What a labor intensive PAIN! While it, finally, turned out very nice, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2017 02:41PM

I have been using Paracord, but read some reviews on Atwood cord and have ordered some to give it a try, should arrive late this week. What are your thoughts on the difference?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster