I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PB761mf and checking back in
Posted by: Arthur J Moody (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: February 23, 2017 12:21PM

Wanted to re-introduce myself to the board as its been a long while since I first posted but often come here to gain info and learn new things about building rods.

if I can get "my feet really wet" I'll guess I'll get in the groove of trying to put together my first rod although I will not mention of how long I have had some of them laying around the house needing to be done while others need some repair too.

First off, let me say I am lucky enough to attend the ICRBE the last few years and it is such a enjoyable opportunity for me and now I can happily say my wife also enjoys going with me and wanting to craft together her first rod too. Any builders or non builders considering it should go at least once to get to see and touch first hand what is available in the world of rod buiding. A big thanks and appreciation to Tom Kirkman cannot be amplified enough.

I purchased a Point 761mf blank along with the promotion that Angler's Resourse was including the components and am setting it up for casting cranks. This is the first Point blk that I have purchased and wondered if anyone on the board has this particular blank and what they thought of it for throwing crankbaits? Guide reccomendations?

I don't golf, never have, don't hunt no more, can't take the cold either, but eat, live and sleep fishing.....its my only hobby. So your earnest opinions given are taken with utmost importantance.

P.S. I looked at the Dale Clemmons building book at the rod show but held off and wanted to ask is it a good info book???

Many thanks beforehand,

A. Moody

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PB761mf and checking back in
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 23, 2017 04:22PM

Arthur,
I think Tom Kirkman's book from Amato Press is a more current and relevant book for today's rods. Dale's book, while good is from the 80's, quite a few changes have come since than.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2017 11:18PM

Love that blank and series. I know it is considered a high modulus type rod for finesse fishing, but because it is so lightweight and responsive it fishes well as a reaction rod. I was expecting more "backbone" and as they describe due to the nature of how the blank is built, it took a little getting used to. Now I use my 761mf and 761mhf for finesse applications and love it, but I know a buddy I built a couple for uses both of his for cranks with great success.

video of my 761mf on an 8lb and 10lb+ bass. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Arthur J Moody (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 10:12AM

Spencer,

I checked and have that book you mentioned. Fly, spinning, casting, trolling everything you need to know. Also got a couple of cds put out by Tom Kirkman on dec wraps and shaping grips but those will into perspective a little down the road. Thanks

Nick, good video you put together

Guide sizes for this 7-6"?? After getting acquainted with a helpful builder at the show we was discussing using ring locks starting w a 12 or 10 down to 8 then continues to on to tip w 6's or 5's. I use #10 mono when I am cranking. Very seldom I'll go up to 12# mono.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 11:19PM

Thanks. I used the same guide sizes you suggested pretty much. Size 10 double foot stripper, 8, 7 double foot reduction train. Size 6 single foot transition, 5.5 single foot runners. Total 10 guides not including the tip. Ive heard nothing but good things about ringlocks.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 11:36PM

accidental post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 11:38PM by Nick Lam.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster