I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Strippers
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2017 03:31PM

I used to use single foot spinning guides for for strippers on light to medium casting rods (circa 1995), I did it to save weight at the time. Since I have gone to micro guide sizes and spiral wraps, I have been using double foot strippers usually in a 6mm ring like the Fuji RV or KT guides but have been pondering the idea of going to a spinning single foot guide only for the height advantage and the ability to take the guide closer to the reel. What are you doing and why and what is your opinion or experiences with this? It really is great to have this collective of experienced builders and I do appreciate all comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Strippers
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2017 04:15PM

Lance,
Your idea should work just fine.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2017 05:40PM

The RV is the same height as a KW10.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2017 09:27PM

Do not need anything larger or higher than the KW10 or RV6. You want a nice straight line from the pawl ring to the stripper guide, and depending on the height of the reel you can move the stripper closer or further away.
Norm

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2017 07:44AM

Lance
I use both, depending on what the rod is being used for for.

Med light - heavy- I often use single ft strippers

For lighter worm set ups (finesse worms, sinko’s, creature baits, ext.),
I will still use single ft strippers

But if I am building/using the rod for tip up techniques heavier techniques, (heavier worms, jigs ect.), flipping, pitching, punching rods.
I will go with double ft stripper, and sometimes (especially with - flipping, pitching, punching sticks) that can require violent hook sets and excessive force pulling fish out of structure and grass.
I will use double ft for the stripper guide and the next guide out.

I have seen over extended use, that the extra pull force imposed on the second guide will cause it to shift under the wrap eventually leading to wrap failure.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2017 09:14AM

For a single foot stripper use the Fuji KT 10, it is the same height as the KW10, and will match the rest of the KR guides. It is certainly stronger and matches better than a V or Y guide. Although not required I like to do a locking wrap on all my single ft guides as insurance against pull out and guide shift. When doing a locking wrap on KB/KT guides, wrap right up to the guide leg then do two wraps behind the guide, then do your three wraps around the leg before finishing with three wraps behind these. Pack tight to close any gap between the leg and the wraps behind it.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster