I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping a Sleeve Ferrule - OLD G Loomis Rod
Posted by: Kevin Kemner (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2017 11:32AM

Greetings All,

I've been away from rod building for a while and now that I have the time again I want to work on some blanks I've been picking up here and there. My question is about an old Loomis Composites GF 804 two piece blank I picked up some time ago. It appears to have a sleeve over ferrule rather than a smooth taper tip over butt. I'm familiar with the old Phillipson sleeve ferrules where you would wrap the length of the sleeve. My question here is that same approach needed on this fly rod, or is it robust enough for a standard ferrule wrap. Thanks in advance. I've got quite a backlog of blanks so I'm not in too much of a hurry to get to this one. I've got about two years worth of blanks to build and my wife says I can't buy anymore until they are gone.

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping a Sleeve Ferrule - OLD G Loomis Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 01:45PM

Are you talking about the tip sliding inside tip of the butt section?

Date: February 19, 2017 04:42PM

Hi Pencer,

Thank you for response. No, I'm talking about the female end of the tip section. It appears to be a sleeve type ferrule. I'll see if I can post a picture of it. The blank is from Loomis' very first company, early 80's.

Kevin

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-193-136.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2017 05:30PM

Fenwick was the first company to patent two piece rods that were actually comprised of two separate blanks that fit together tip over butt and were termed feralite ferrules. Because of the feralite patient other companies at the time had to cut a one piece rod which they joined together via three different methods. The first one was via a metal ferrule. The second was by an internal spigot ferrule that protruded from the butt section over which the tip section fitted. The third was an external sleeve ferrule which was glued to the tip section and fitted over the butt section. This sleeve ferrule was used by many manufacturers at the time and this is what you have with the old Loomis blank. Almost all modern day two/multiple piece rods now utilize the feralite design. For the old sleeve type ferrule you can either wrap the entire ferrule, or wrap two short lengths one where the ferrule joins the tip section and the other at the butt end of the ferrule where it overlaps the butt section. Either type of wrap will help reinforce the ferrule and prevent potential splitting.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 06:08PM

some or most of the newer rods don't need the ferrule, but saying that what is old an what is new ? lot of the builders still wrap the ferrules
[I do] even on the new rods I get in today , better to be safe than rebuild the tip , plus hard to teach an old dog new tricks

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 07:19PM

As in Norm's post Shakespeare used the external sleeve also. (We used to be able to buy their blanks) Not sure if that's still possible.

Date: February 19, 2017 08:43PM

Thanks Norm. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

All the best,

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster