I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for Spey Rods
Posted by: Philip Engle (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 09:59AM

Friends:

I have handles now installed on two 3-pc spey rod blanks: 1) a 13' for 8/9 and 2) a 15' for 10/11. Both are Rainshadows. Quarry is king salmon in Alaska. Never built a spey rod, and the last time I used one was over 50 years ago on the River Wye in England. A great big bamboo unwieldy thing that had a pre-teen yank at somewhat of a disadvantage, and seemed about as fun as a root canal at the time. So the novelty of that experience has kinda worn off. The last time I even had a built spey rod in my hands was in a fishing store in London perhaps 10 years ago. Thus I don't have a wealth of spey experience to draw on as I put these blanks together, even if I am more seasoned on other, less niche (for Americans at least), styles. I've had the blanks for some years, but the 'need" to put them together never arose until now. So to my current way of thinking these will be the only two spey rods I will ever build, therefore want to it right the first time.

Three questions arise:

1) Snake guides or single foots?
2) if Single Foots, should I go ceramic?
3) Distance between the reel seat and first stripper guide? On this point the spacing charts always measure form the tip down, but they also give a blank length range that gives a lot of leeway for where the first stripper guide goes. I figure for both rods this will be some variant of a #20 ceramic guide.

Any assistance appreciated, as well as other tips as I move forward to finalize this project!

BTW: One of the reels I plan to use on these rids is an old Hardy Perfect # 3 3/4, which was recently handed down to me and is probably the very one I used as a wide-eyed kid back in the day. Jus' keeping up he family tradition...

Warm regards,

Whit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for Spey Rods
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 02:28PM

not sure on all the questions but the first stripper guide should be up the blank farther than you can reach when you are working the rod I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 06:08PM

Yes, the first stripper should be just out of your reach, so that you can strip the line in below it, same as any fly rod.

Posted by: Jamie Ker (---.no.shawcable.net)
Date: February 19, 2017 09:33PM

If you go on to Batson's they have a guide spacing forum that has both spacing for the rods but also recommended guides. Either single foots or snakes will work fine, but if you plan on bush wacking I would go with snakes as single foots get caught up and can either bend or break easier. Also single foots ice up easier if using in the winter. Single foots will allow you to shoot line easier. I wouldn't bother with cermanics other than the 2 stripping guides.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2017 10:28AM

V. Helpful, thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster