I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for reel seat
Posted by: robert rowlette (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2017 10:17PM

[www.tacklewarehouse.com]
anyone know where i can get the sliding ring for this?im not even sure if thats what its called.thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for reel seat
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 12:08AM

It already has a reel seat, do you intend to remove it?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 12:16AM

It is a locking nut and hood. This is called an up locking reel seat. The part that turns on the thread is the locking nut and attached to that is the hood that goes over the reel foot. I guess the locking nut is stripped or is the hood cracked? If so you will have to remove the handle (this will destroy it) and butt, pull the locking nut / hood off and replace it and put a new handle on. You are lucky it is up locking in this case otherwise you would have to remove the guides. You could also use duck tape to hold the reel on, if you want to do it the easy way. Works in a pinch. Any of the components suppliers on the column to the far left of the screen have the parts you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 12:24AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 12:26AM

The threaded nut is exactly the same as a Fuji, Batson, Am Tack, or Pac Bay reel seat, and are virtually interchangeable. There were two sizes of the threaded skeleton used, 16 and 17 mm, the size mid cork used decides the threaded skeleton size, the old G Loomis rods used the 17mm size, not sure what they use now. Originally Wiebe made that style seat, than sold the design to Super Sticker who quit making them a couple years ago, the funny thing was some of the castings they made the reel seats on had the G Loomis name on them, even if you bought them retail in the reel seat kit, or the full grip/seat kits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 12:35AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: robert rowlette (---.mayo.edu)
Date: February 18, 2017 07:42AM

yes sorry for the confusion. looking for the super sticker black hood not the uplocking threaded portion.im trying to build that reel seat and i have the threaded and uplocking hood portion, and cork but i am missing the black ring that is opposite the uplocking hood if that makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 07:45AM by robert rowlette.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 08:27AM

this might help it's at mudhole custom tackle on the left hand list of vendors

Fuji SK2 Spinning Body SKSS
SKU: SKSS-BODY
$2.79 to $3.05

Size

Size 16
Size 17

Quantity

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 09:12AM

I used to get them from Anglers Workshop, but they no longer sell them. I was told by them, ( Anglers Workshop) that Gary Loomis had bought them and was not selling either seat (spinning or casting). Would love to get all I could myself. I made some out of alumilite in a silicon mold and they looked great but I never used them because I didn't think it was strong enough and wouldn't hold up. Anyone have any they don't want and would sell?

Date: February 18, 2017 09:29AM

Angler's Workshop when it was in Woodland, WA had the parts on sale in independent pieces, for years they had everything but the threaded side, they may still have some now they moved and just not in the catalog due to the numbers left. You don't need that piece to get the same result, Mr. Timberlake designed a system using a graphite slip ring used on the all cork Tennessee style grips to lock the reel to the cork grip, there is some info in the archives here and an article was published in Rod Maker magazine some years ago. You built a midcork similar to the Wiebe midcork with a tenon on the front, slipped the slip ring on the tenon and glued it down, than you just built the front part and the threaded part like you see on the G Loomis site, or as you want.
Skins and Bones reel seat is I believe the name he used. SBSS for short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 02:52PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: robert rowlette (---.mayo.edu)
Date: February 18, 2017 02:52PM

wonder if i could use part of a fly real seat to get the same results.

Date: February 18, 2017 03:42PM

No fly seat I've ever seen is that big, also a spinning reel's foot is thicker and wider than fly reels. You would need something in a diameter of a little over 1 inch. The graphite rings come in three sizes and available lots of places in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

Date: February 18, 2017 03:44PM

No fly seat I've ever seen is that big, also a spinning reel's foot is thicker and wider than fly reels. You would need something in a diameter of a little over 1 inch. The graphite rings come in three sizes and available lots of places in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 03:58PM

Robert,
This is a simple skeletal reel seat. When you purchase the reel seat, you get two pieces. The part with threads on it along with the locking nut. Then, the front (in this case) reel seat with the slot in it.

Many manufacturers have used this over the years.

[www.mudhole.com]

As shown in the listing, these seats are available in size 16,17 and 18. In your case, the seat is either a size 17 or a size 18.

From a comfort view point - with this sort of reel seat, I personally prefer using the size 18.

Just purchase the reel seat that you wish to use and put it on the rod.

If you are replacing the front seat - in your picture - you will have to remove and destroy the butt grip and the reel seat. Then, go ahead and install the new reel seat and a new rear grip.

Be safe

Posted by: bob graves (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 18, 2017 07:17PM

The part you are looking for is a Weibi reel seat. Loomis used them on their factory rods and now they are extinct, except I know a guy who has a few of them, he has the hood and the barrels and they even say Loomis on them. PM me and I will see what I can do to get what you need from him-----may take a mickey of Rum--joking. I got one from him and did a custom barrel for one of my Steelhead rods. I can get one and take a picture for you.

Bob

Date: February 18, 2017 07:46PM

Thats what im talking about. Not sure how to send a pm on here but yea ill take a couple if you can get them .i sent you an email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 07:57PM by robert rowlette.

Posted by: bob graves (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 18, 2017 07:52PM

my email bobgraves210@gmail.com, email me tonight and I will reply.

Date: February 18, 2017 07:58PM

Sent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster