I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy penetration/color fast thread
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2017 01:01PM

I recently read an article that said epoxy can't penetrate through color fast thread thus making the guide connection weaker and if so is there a way to use color fast thread and get a strong bond for the guide. I like to use color on the rods to stand out and non-cft thread generally gets darker and somewhat translucent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy penetration/color fast thread
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: February 13, 2017 01:13PM

You wont have an issue with color fast thread. All the epoxy does is protect the thread wrap.
Dan Grulke

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2017 01:19PM

The thread provides the bond between rod blank and guide.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2017 02:45PM

Dan and Tom are correct, and diplomatic too.

I'm curious about the author's source for such a claim as my initial reaction is hogwash. While it is true that finish epoxy adds very little structure strength to guide wraps, the epoxy most certainly does penetrate the wraps, NCP not withstanding. Perhaps the author has never removed a wrap made with NCP nylon and finished with epoxy.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2017 10:38PM

It just penetrates a little less,as NCP thread has a filler component to make it colorfast.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2017 12:02AM

Robert,
You can do an easy test and get the answer for your self.

Take a piece of standard nylon guide thread and do a wrap a few inches long - leaving space between each and every wrap.

Then, take a piece of NCP guide thread and do a wrap the same few inches long - leaving space between each and every wrap.

Then, apply your standard two coats of finish over each of the thread wraps 24 hours apart.

Then, let the finish cure for a week out in the sun or other warm area so the finish will be nice and solid.

Then, do the test where you cut one end of the thread loose and peel each piece of thread off of the blank. If you happened to have a spring scale, you could measure the force required to pull the thread off of the blank.

Repeat for the other thread, also recording the force, or if you aren't using a scale, at least your comparative impression of the force and or difference between forces to remove the 2nd thread.

It would be interesting to all of us, if you shared your results with all of us.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2017 04:48PM

It is my opinion based on removing a good number of wraps that CP does result in wraps that come off significantly easier than those wrapped without CP - ALL WRAPS WITH REGULAR NYLON THREAD. I have heard otherwise, but I don't believe it. If penetration of the thread by epoxy is prevented it is logical to conclude that the total structure of the "plywood" system will be at least somewhat compromised. Roger is right, if you want the definitive answer, do a test.

I submit his test is designed wrong, though. The proper test, in my opinion, is to do a series of wraps with guides just like you do when building your rods, then both try to move the guides and also nick it to the thread and see how hard it is peel the finish off. The suggested space between the thread wrap is a different condition than wraps tightly stacked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster