I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie here
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: February 13, 2017 09:23AM

I just finished my first rod this past weekend. I must say the learning curve is quite a bit steeper than I thought. The grips and reel seat were easy enough but the wraps were a whole other story. I did enough wrapping and re-wrapping to have completed at least 3 rods. I believe I found out that I put on too much epoxy or it wasnt leveled during drying. I have footballs on pretty much every guide except the first 2 closest to the reel seat.

So a couple newb questions:
1. Can marbling pigments be bought in a craft store? If so, what would be the best bet?
2. Is there a wrapping technique that can be used to create elegant wraps without using a weave?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie here
Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-194.myvzw.com)
Date: February 13, 2017 11:54AM

We like to keep it simple and clean on our rods. They look great and catch fish. Simple thin thread tags of a complementing color or metallic thread are always great looking. To us, fishing rods are primarily about three things; Performance, Performance, Performance.

Buy the best blanks, components, and cork you can get and you won't be disappointed. Your technique will get better over time.

Here is a link to a video on how to apply Flex Coat finish. Even though this video demonstrates finish application on our high end FM200 finishing machine, you can still apply this knowledge to slower RPM turning methods.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-70-196-140.myvzw.com)
Date: February 13, 2017 05:06PM

Put your wrap epoxy on thinner and apply more thin coats as needed. Testers model paint works great as pigment for epoxy. Let them sit for about a day so the pigments in the paint bottle settles then be careful not to stir up the bottle and undo the cap and drain the thinner off till you get to the pigment, then seal it back up. Use clean tooth picks to get pigment out of the bottle when you mix it with epoxy. The two parts of epoxy needs to be mixed up prior to adding or stirring in the pigment. If you want to get better color separation add what they call "mud" to the mixed epoxy and pigment, you will have to get it from a components supplier. Marbling does add weight to the finished rod and I totally agree with Mr. Cates. You can make a better high performance rod than you can by at a tackle store and decoration is less important than performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 05:09PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Date: February 14, 2017 07:59AM

I didnt think to use model paint. Ill have to check that out. Ill have to get some wooden dowels to practice on first, dont want to start painting on a rod blank and completely mess it up. Im not so worried about performance for my own rods. If I do get to a point where I am making rods for others, then Ill pay attention to the performance of the rod.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: February 14, 2017 08:51AM

If you want a simple decorative wrap, look up dragon scales on the image page. Mesh drywall tape and thread.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: February 14, 2017 09:03AM

Ok, so I checked out the Testors options and it seems like there is Acrylic or Enamel. Does it matter which if Im taking off the thinner to get to the pigments?

Ill have to check out dragon scale. The idea seems like it would work.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: February 14, 2017 09:21AM

It does work :)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-147.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2017 08:11AM

Hi Ken,

I use Jacquard Pearl Ex Powders for marbling. They are ready right out of the package, mix easy, look good, don't upset the epoxy, and are available in many craftstores.

They have a more metallic appearance, which I like better than plain color.

Take care,

Chris

Date: February 16, 2017 09:05AM

Thanks Chris. I was searching before and saw PealEx. They did seem to be exactly what I was looking for. When I have the time, Ill go down to the craft store to check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster