I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Snake guides or single foot guides for a new fly rod?
Posted by: Wayne Hughes (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 06:52PM

Tom Kirkman, I had wondered how single foot and double foot guides effected action of fly blank. I have read that double foot guides do stiffen rod blank, but I wondered if combined weight of epoxy, thread, and eyelet overcame rod blank stiffening in the 1" rod blank area a double foot guide would occupy.

Another point not mentioned is weight created by each ferrule? Sure, 4pcs rods are the norm, and preferred for travel. Do ferrule's stiffen or soften rod action? A 2pc rod has 1 ferrule, a 4pc 3, a 6pc 5 ferrules, what is net effect of more vs less ferrules when it comes to rod action? A few rod manufactures are making One piece fly rods!

For me, a one piece fly rod would be a tip breaking nightmare!! But, in the spirit of keeping weight savings, and rod true to designed power and action, this must be as close a design as possible?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2017 07:03PM

They don't affect the action at all (action is where the blank initially flexes). They do slow the speed of the blank (reaction and recovery time). This is why it becomes softer, not stiffer.

If you take the stiffest guides you can find and wrap them end to end along a rod blank, you'll find that you have a wimpy noodle of a rod. It'll be plenty soft. Weight is the culprit - the rod blank has to carry whatever you add to it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 08:30PM

If you build any bamboo fly rod, any fiberglass fly rod, or a graphite rod with anything but an extra-fast action you will be wasting your time agonizing over saving tiny fractions of an ounce in the guide train, for you have already settled upon a slower rod .

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (63.88.70.---)
Date: February 13, 2017 04:37PM

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I think my question was answered quite adequately. I know questions I didn't ask were answered quite adequately, and the information, as usual, was more than welcome. Essentially, I like the aesthetics of the single foot guide, but was concerned that there might be a limit to line weight for rods on which they were employed. Apparently, a five weight works. I'm no Ed Jaworowski, so I am unsure that the advantages of weight or speed would have any impact on my casting. It is what it is, and has been for decades. Fortunately, it is not an impediment to catching fish. Again, thanks to all.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2017 08:07AM

Another advantage I think with the single foots (at least with the Minima's that Tom mentioned), is the ability to use a running guide as a tip. They are lighter than even a wire tip top. And this reduction in weight is at the most critical place on the rod. Use a good locking wrap and it's not coming off.
Those who care about aesthetics will probably squirm a bit. But, sacrificing performance for aesthetics? No reason.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster