I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon rod
Posted by: Brody Haakenson (---.gondtc.com)
Date: February 08, 2017 11:49PM

I'm looking for some expert advice on a salmon rod I am building for a friend

it is going to be a 8.5 foot medium heavy rod. his main use is going to be casting lures using 15 pound mono. My Main concern is about what type of guides to use. He mentioned wanting micro guides and I was wondering if a size 5 guide will be too small for this type of set up.

I have never build anything bigger than a 6.5 foot walleye rod so any help is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 01:10AM

they will work but the distance might be a bit impeded IMHO I would do a 6 or 7 because it is mono and it should cast well.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: February 09, 2017 10:15AM

#5 will work fine, a rod is a rod, what works on your bass or walleye rod will work on this salmon rod under the same circumstances. Built a Rainshadow XST 1025 for a gentleman with a #10 first guide than all #4s with a #6 ringed tip, it's a cannon for rods that length and very light and sensitive. In my book #5 really aren't micros, they've been around much longer. The first guide being a #10 wasn't much of a stretch for him, his Series One Berkeley rods from the late 80's started with a #10 guide, all in SiC from the factory. Grandkid run his rod through his tailgate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 10:27AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 11:28AM

I agree with Spencer size 5 runners will do very well. Is this going to be a spinning or casting rod?
Norm

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (107.77.83.---)
Date: February 09, 2017 11:35AM

spinning rod built on a mhx st1025 if I remember right.

Date: February 09, 2017 11:35AM

spinning rod built on a mhx st1025 if I remember right.

Date: February 09, 2017 11:38AM

one more question. I will be using. CFX carbon fiber grips from mudhole.com what is the best way to put a coat of finish on them with out a lathe available.

and would prokote or permanent gloss be the best?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 09, 2017 11:46AM

Unless it for cosmetic reasons you need no additional work on those grips. Epoxy would be the easiest to apply.

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 12:13PM

The only thing I'll add here is to ask where this rod is going to be used. If it's going to be used in a cold, Northern climate (Northern BC or AK) you may want to reconsider size 5's. They will ice-up very quickly. Here in BC, we fish salmon right through December and I can tell you that there's many times I've had issues with size 8's, let alone 5's.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 12:28PM

Brian,
X10 on the use of larger guides if there is any chance that ice will be encountered. For hard core cold weather fishing - I will never use any guide size smaller than size 8, and will often use nothing smaller than size 10.

Date: February 09, 2017 12:35PM

I like Permagloss as a top finish. You can apply it using a cordless drill and a foam paint brush works extremely well. Basically put the grip on some sort of mandrel, i.e. a piece of broken blank, wooden dowel, threaded steel rod, etc. Chuck the mandel in the drill and coat the grip with Permagloss using a foam brush while turning. Only takes a few seconds and is very easy giving a very nice and durable finish. This thin coat will set up very quickly and thus do not need to keep turning it. Can give additional coats if you want to. If you do not like it can always coat later with epoxy finish, but I think you will like the finish.
I have three personal salmon spin rods from 8.5' - 9', all three were rewraped using Fuji KR concept spin guides using either size 5 or size 4.5 runners, and they all performed much better after the rewrap then they did before the rewrap. Used a size 20 KL-H as a stripper for all of these, but I cast braid on these rods. Do not know the reel size that will be used but using15 Mono I might use a size 25 KL-H stripper. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: February 09, 2017 01:17PM

from the sound of it he will be using the rod in the summer around Minnesota with little chance for ice build up on guides.

I guess I will see what i/he think the grips need if anything at all and go from there

thanks for the help

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 03:33PM

salmon in Minnesota must be fishing lake superior

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 03:44PM by Matthew Paul.

Date: February 09, 2017 03:38PM

I guess I kinda assumed that. he lives there but I never asked where he plans on fishing.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2017 03:56AM

Put a set of AirWaves on the rod and get a couple of extra running guides, or if you want to go with a little bigger guides, get a set of the MicroWave 30's with the single foot running guides.

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (107.77.85.---)
Date: February 14, 2017 01:05PM

one more question. I ordered a size 18 reel seat but it looks way too unproportional for the handle and the only other size in the seat, in the style, he wants is a 16 which I feel may be too small.

is a size 16 alright or should I stick with the size 18 even though it looks big?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 02:54PM by Brody Haakenson.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 15, 2017 11:09AM

Brody Haakenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one more question. I ordered a size 18 reel seat
> but it looks way too unproportional for the handle
> and the only other size in the seat, in the style,
> he wants is a 16 which I feel may be too small.
>
> is a size 16 alright or should I stick with the
> size 18 even though it looks big?

I only use size 16 on my salmon rods. It's more about feel in the hand than how it looks.
If the blank diameter isn't larger than the inside diameter of the reel seat I wouldn't hesitate to use size 16.

Date: February 15, 2017 11:29AM

I also have no problems with a size 16, as long as it fits the blank. The only time a use a size 18 or larger is when the blank's diameter dictates so. What kind of seat are you getting? I am guessing an aluminum seat, if not I am surprised you can't get it a size 17, but can get it in a size 16 and 18.
Norm

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (---.gondtc.com)
Date: February 15, 2017 03:12PM

its a project x seat from mudhole It only comes in a size 16 and 18. I ordered a size 16 because the size 18 looked bad in my opinion

Date: February 15, 2017 05:15PM

Should be fine. I have used these before and hold up well.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster