I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing decal glue
Posted by: Lowell Morris (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2017 07:03PM

I recently removed a decal connection decal from a blank that had a base layer of flex coat epoxy. My question is what do I use to remove the residual glue "sticky" I have tried IPA and denatured alcohol to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing decal glue
Posted by: Pat Barnard (47.210.187.---)
Date: February 08, 2017 07:31PM

Goof OFF

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 08:18PM

or Goo Gone

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 09:47PM

Goo Gone. Then make sure all residue from that is gone. Not sure what it might do. I think alcohol followed by water might be right.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 10:21PM

Xylene will take the residue right off.

Also, WD-40 will do a nice job in removing the residue. Then use simple green to remove the residue from the WD-40. Basically you need a solvent to dissolve the adhesive. So, nearly any petroleum based fluid will remove the residue.

You could use brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid, motor oil, etc.

Be safe

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2017 07:54AM

On most glue residue I have had success with a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser, the rectangular type, it balls up the glue and will not harm the rod with harsh chemicals and leaves no residue. Mine has a nice worn groove that conforms to the roundness of the blank.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: chuck brown (208.95.179.---)
Date: February 09, 2017 03:50PM

I've had a little experience with this.:) Acetone will do the trick. I would stay away from petroleum based removers. They tend to leave a residue that can cause problems down the road if you intend to refinish or apply another decal. Call me if I can be of any help to you. (931)561-0027

Chuck
Decal Connection

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster