I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

uses for excess epoxy finish
Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2017 10:46PM

i recently found a use for excess epoxy….spinner blades with realistic scale imprints etc always seem to wear off quickly , unfortunately . i took one and brushed it with flexcoat the other day, hit it with the heat gun, and brushed off the extra 'drip'. i fished all day with it last weekend and had zero wearing of the usually fragile willowleaf blade print . so far so good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: uses for excess epoxy finish
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 01:07AM

When the down starts escaping through a hole cut in that nylon rip-stop parka or vest, “a little dab will do ‘ya” of wrap finish = bonds well, clear and flexible. No more snow storm following me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Wayne Hughes (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 01:43AM

Drip onto a chip in floor of standup, fiberglass shower stall. Epoxy is not white like shower stall, but waterproof repair is now 15 years old with no signs of failure.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 05:21AM

I repaired a small leak in my aluminum boat with epoxy finish. I needed something that would flow into a "hard to get to" spot!

Rog

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 08, 2017 09:14AM

When I make an E-Glass Grip I am always colouring it based on the theme for the rod. I don't like the look of a rubber butt cap so I use the excess tinted epoxy that I use to colour the grip, and pour a bit into these art paint holders. I then epoxy them to the bottom of the butt to finish it off. Makes for a nice clean butt cap. And you don't have to use the same colour so it allows you to be creative with different colours. I also do this with my carbon grips.

Only downside is it does get scratched up a bit over time if you are always standing your rods up. But surprisingly the scratches don't show that bad at all.

Here is a link to the paint holders I was talking about.

[www.google.ca]:

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: February 08, 2017 02:54PM

A lot of guys will coat their custom painted crankbaits with flexcoat

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 08, 2017 03:00PM

For my two bump sinking ants, I wind very fine black copper wire to create the bumps then apply finish epoxy to the wire. Requires turning until cured but creates a shiny black appearance. Once cured I use various materials to create legs on the fly.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 08, 2017 03:09PM

I used left over epoxy to seal cracks in my fillet knife handles AND to fill the voids between the blade and the handle so water won't get in the handles to cause them to crack again.

I also used some Rod Bond to replace the beak that was broken on my Mom's cast resin Chickadee. Drilled a hole and Rod Bonded a piece of toothpick in it and then formed the beak shape on the toothpick with Rod Bond. A little black acrylic paint and it's a perfect match.

Dan

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: February 08, 2017 06:52PM

Dan rodbond is fantastic stuff I had a favorite coffee cup that was stainless. The handle screw stripped out. I put it back together over a decade ago and still use every day.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.246.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 10, 2017 08:18AM

And here I thought I was the only one to use my rod finish for other repairs. Most notably, the sole of my sneakers and work boots are holding fast and comfortable for more than a year now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster