I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie. Where to start?
Posted by: Travis Shelton (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 10:00PM

I am looking for a good resource to get started into rod building. This web site is a bit confusing being that its my first time here so I am sorry if there is an obvious answer to my question. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie. Where to start?
Posted by: Mark Brown (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 11:09PM

I started just a year ago. Its addicting. Look at rod kits from some of the sponsors on the left. The kit will have everything you need to get started and the one I picked up had a rod building book from T Kirkman. Great resource. The folks who sell these kits are great and easy to talk too. Not sure if I'm supposed to mention names so you can pm me if you'd like , and I can share some more info.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 02:12AM

Travis,
This site is an awesome tool for starting out, problem solving, requesting opinions, or sharing your own experiences. I am rather new also and this site has helped me immensely. The only thing confusing on this site is trying to take-in the wealth of information gathered from the many qualified, veteran builders who are more than willing to share their knowledge.
Without knowing your abilities or goals, I agree with Mark Brown and suggest you consider a rod kit to avoid having to acquire all the individual components yourself. There is no need to spend a lot of money on power wrappers and other expensive equipment to get your feet wet. Simple vee notches cut into a cardboard box can serve as a wrapping fixture and thread passed between the pages of a book can be used for thread tension.
Use the list of vendors to the left for anything needed to build a rod. If you have questions, all you have to do is ask on this site and you will be bombarded with qualified assistance.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2017 08:54AM

Travis, the search function of this site is your best friend. Want to learn about spinning rod guides ..... hit the search button, in the box titled "search messages" type in "spinning rod guides" then look to bottom right in search box and you'll see a box that says "last 30 days" that is the default time frame. If you want to look back further hit the arrow and a drop down list appears with various options. Choose and option then hit the search button.

For instance I just searched "spinning rod guides" and set the search dates option to "all dates" There are 7,644 posts that talk about spinning rod guides. It make take you some time to find the exact answer you're searching for, but chances are it's there somewhere.

Or you could just start your own thread and ask a question. To start your own thread click the "new topic" button near the top of the page. I know you'll find that the majority of the members of this site have no problem helping "newbies" out. Don't worry about whether or not you think your question is stupid or too simple. The only stupid question is one not asked.

The members of this site as well as the site itself are and is outstanding. Joining this site accelerated my learning curve exponentially. And if you use it and aren't afraid to ask questions, I'm sure it will do the same for you.

This is the best site on the web hands down when it comes to rod building .

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: February 06, 2017 11:08AM

Lots and lots of youtube videos. Tom Kirkman's book is a fast, easy read.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 12:03PM

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 12:19PM

almost all sponsors have there KITS an they all will work , pick a large suppler , from the sponsors list , go for A cheap kit , so if you mess up it won't hurt much , it is called a learning curve ,
an if it don't work out for you give it to some kid they will love it , an start over, PS ask on this form for a helper near where you live , an try to hook up with them , most builders will bend over backwards
to help a new builder starting out like you

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 08:02PM

Travis,
One piece of advice for a beginner that really helps a tremendous amount.

Go to school.

i.e. if you can find a rod building class in your area, or a builder that would be willing to work with you to get started - you can get a huge leg up and avoid making simple mistakes by having a veteran builder looking over your shoulder on your first few builds.

The teacher will point out your mistakes as you make them and allow you to correct them instantly, rather than having the mistake enshrined in a completed rod that would need to be stripped again to correct.

Good luck

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 09:29PM

I went to My Local VO TECH Night School.

Posted by: Christopher Ruckert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 11:49PM

Mudhole offers a great 2 day course. You walk out with a finished rod and a mess of equipment to get you started building your next rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster