I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper Track Alignment
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 01:10PM

I purchased an American Tackle Power Wrapper several years ago. It works great for my needs. The only issue I run into is the alignment of the track sections. Sometimes they are just off enough to cause the thread carriage to hang up. This is frustrating at times, especially when I have a good rhythm going and have to stop because the carriage is "stuck" where the section meet.. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks to get the sections to align better and stay in alignment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper Track Alignment
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 01:46PM

Robert,
Take your wrapper base to a machine shop that does aluminum welding. Have them set up the tracks so that they are perfectly aligned. Then, have them weld the track solid so that the track will never ever move again.

Bring along your thread carriage, so that the machinist can verify the track alignment and if necessary mill out the track for the perfect alignment that you want.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 01:47PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2017 04:59PM

You may find it helpful to slightly bevel the edges of the track sections where the rod supports and thread carriage run. This better helps the pieces engage the next track section.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 04, 2017 06:26PM

I bevelled the edge as Tom mentioned and took a level to the side of the sections, clamped the level and screwed down the sections, used thin gasket material too make shims the level the sections vertically, didn't take much.

Posted by: Rex Mason (47.183.147.---)
Date: February 05, 2017 10:16AM

I mounted mine to a board. particle board is usually the best for a non-warping base
align the wrapper sections on the board using a carpenters square
screw the first section in place
realign the 2nd section to the 1st
use a soft face clamp to hold the 2nd section in place. (similar to the IRWIN QUICK GRIP clamp)
try the thread carriage
as required realign the 2nd piece until you are satisfied
if practical for your setup, use a 2nd clamp to reduce risk of the 2nd wrapper section shifting during attachment
ensure screws are centered in the 2nd section holes
fasten section securely
recheck alignment with clamps removed

move the thread carriage across the joint

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 08:29PM

I took a piece of 3/32" 6' long 2' wide piece of alum. in any hardware store, sand one side and the inside of the track ware thay meet.

Align the two pcs. and use a "alum." compatable" epoxie glue and lightly clamp it all together, let it set.
Did mine 5 years ago still holding strong.

Curt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster