I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smaller size guides on a fiberglass blank
Posted by: Anthony Goulet (107.77.89.---)
Date: February 02, 2017 09:03PM

So I have been reading up on using fly guides on a fiberglass blank and since fly guides and regular guides are not the same size as far as ID. My question is that a fiberglass blank is going to be heavier than a carbon blank as well as less backbone then the carbon blank. Would I be better off with fly guides of a say a 4 or 5 size rather than a 6 or 8 also should I go with a low profile guide rather than a high profile guide with the same ID. That way since I am using braided line and keeping the guides closer to the blank would give me extra backbone to the fiberglass blank. I like the fly guides because of the similarities of the recoil guides

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smaller size guides on a fiberglass blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2017 09:28PM

The ideal is always to use the proper sized guides - the smallest and lightest that will easily pass your line and any required connections, plus yold up to the task at hand.

Using anything larger than necessary or smaller than needed is detrimental.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 09:33PM

What is the intended use of this rod?
Norm

Date: February 02, 2017 10:19PM

I want to make fiberglass rod for fishing perch in deep water. the only rod that comes close to what I have used would be a JM meatstick. So i am really really new at making good decisions. So I am asking for advice from those who have built rods and what components did you use for your build.

Date: February 02, 2017 11:36PM

Ok, it is an Ice fishing rod. Since I live in the South and have not walked on ice for almost 40 yrs, I will defer to someone who builds ice rods. I am sure someone here will help you.
Norm

Posted by: danny squier (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 03:54AM

Fly guides are def the way to go.I use single foot wire guides size 6-5-4-3-3 3don't use a tip top just tie on a 3 out there. Mhx makes great blanks for reasonable prices. Andblanks in fiberglass and carbon what will u be using this rod for. I got perch but what kind of lure. What kind of reel will be used I use lowpro inlines so I don't need a stripper guide technically since u won't be casting u don't need to either way. I use a lot of power noodle blanks for size 3.5-5 mm tungsten jigs but I'm mostly building crappie and bluegill rods not that the occasional lm bass or 30 pike haunt liked my offerings . The mxh quiver stick has a little stiffer tip for small spoons and jigging raps

Date: February 03, 2017 04:01AM

# model sf is item number for guides I use at mudhole sorry would give u link but my phone for some reason won't pull it up

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 01:21PM

Anthony,
The only real question is whether you are going to fish in sub freezing weather out of doors without heat.

If so, you want to use larger guides to minimize issues with icing.

If you are going to be in a heated shanty, then you can use what ever guides you choose.

When building a short rod, I like to use a very tall butt guide to minimize the herky jerky effect that you get if using a spinning reel on a short rod with a short distance between the reel and the first guide.

After that, you can go right down to a size 6 or even 5 guide if you wish, since there is no casting to be done.

But for a rod as you are building, I will use a size 10 match guide, a size 6 sv guide and then size 5 or 6 f guides to the tip. The rod is so short that the weight and the size of the guides are really not very important.

The use of Pac Bay minima guides work very well due to their inexpensive price as well as light weight.

Also, for a short rod, you really normally only need about 3 guides. Put the first guide 1/2 way down the rod and then a couple of guides in between to route the line around the more flexible tip. You can add more if you wish, but there is no advantage to putting any guides closer than about 12-14 inches from the reel.

Be safe

Date: February 03, 2017 07:09PM

thanks to those who posted, I appreciate all your advice

Date: February 03, 2017 09:13PM

those that have used the single wire fly guides that are coated black, will the black coating wear off

Date: February 04, 2017 04:44AM

Mine have not I'm going on 3years now and I heavily ice fish...when we have ice here in Indiana

Date: February 04, 2017 11:46AM

Which black coated guides do you use if I may ask

Date: February 05, 2017 10:57AM

# model sf is item number at mudhole

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2017 12:08PM

REC lightweight snake flyrod guides bend easily and immediateIy spring back to shape. That should make removing ice build-up as quick and easy as a light tap against a hard object. I would go with bigger guide sizes since casting is not an issue. I suggest you take two or three Forhan wraps around each leg of each guide before you epoxy. Otherwise when they flex these guides are flexible enough to back out from under the guide wraps.

Date: February 05, 2017 01:51PM

Anthony Goulet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which black coated guides do you use if I may ask

So on the mudhole # SF wire guides, would that be a pac bay SF,or american tackle SF, in the black finish

Date: February 05, 2017 01:52PM

danny squier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> # model sf is item number at mudhole

So on the mudhole # SF wire guides, would that be a pac bay SF,or american tackle SF, in the black finish

Date: February 05, 2017 09:37PM

Go to mudhole type model sf in search they are pacbay should be $0.89 each. Sorry for the hassle my phone won't give me exact link

Date: February 05, 2017 09:49PM

Here is the link.
[www.mudhole.com]
The black are plated and the TiGrey are TiCH PVD coated. The color may be longer lasting with the PVD ooated guides.
Norm

Date: February 06, 2017 02:10AM

Thank you for the input

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster