I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide guidance
Posted by: Rick Elrod (184.63.184.---)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:01PM

Where would I find guidance on guide selection, sizing, etc. for specific techniques? I've spent the last couple of hours searching online for finesse spinning guides with little to show for it. I understand the different materials used in frames and rings but am confused when it comes to frame styles, heights, layouts etc.

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide guidance
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:25PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:35PM

I'm no pro, but the blanks are typically what gets matched to a specific technique. And from what I understand the particular reduction guide train is then matched to the reel you choose. Reduction guide height selection goes with the reel's measurements. If you want finesse then my guess is that you'd want the rest of the guide train with micros as the running guides, and I'm not sure if height is even part of the equation at that section of the rod. So the microwave guides would be good, but if not that then probably one of the K series from Fuji. If you go to the Angler Resource site they even have reels you can select from and then you can start from there. But there are other methods to locate guide heights and positions based on the reel (27X, NGC, etc). Another factor is whether you will be using a leader with knots - but i have a microwave rod and it passes the alberto knot perfectly.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 07:59AM

First, determine what line type and test you'll use and whether knots have to go through them. Then select the lightest you can afford for max sensitivity.

A good source of info that gives a good understanding of how the line affects your selection go to the Fuji catalog on the Anglers Resource site by clicking on it in the left column. Read the "theory" articles in the left column of the site, then go down the page to click on the KLH layout article.

Of course you don't have to use Fujis, but the articles will give a good primer on selecting any guides. The principles are all about the same.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 10:12AM

Rick, good advise from Michael. Do the homework now to understand the fundamentals of setting up ANY rod for ANY kind of fishing and avoid being at the mercy of someone on this or other forums who will offer a "placement chart".

[anglersresource.net]

[anglersresource.net]

[anglersresource.net]

[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 10:29AM

In my opinion the Fuji KR concept for spinning rods is the best way to go for what you want to do. As both Jason and Michael suggest go to the Anglers Resource site and read all about the KR concept. The catalog gives some very good advice on how to group guides by size. The KR Guide placement system (GPS) will give you a great place to start concerning the size and number of guides to use. There may be a little tweaking involved in getting the final layout. Thanks to Jim Ising at Anglers Resource for putting all of this information together, without him the KR concept would not be as popular as it is. If you have questions ask them that what this forum is all about.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 11:33AM

The ONLY caveat regarding the KLH guides is they are tall, so if you plan on using a rod tube, or rod tubes in your boat, check them out for fit. I think TFO has a great triangular rod tube that will hold them (probably only multi piece rods).

It's probably about time for Fuji to do a couple folding KLH guides, don't you think, Jim? :-)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 12:43PM

A fishing outfit is an integrated unit, consisting of hook(s), bait or lure used line used, rod blank, guides. reel seat, grip, and reel. Then we must factor in the target species, the casting technique, and the expertise of the individual angler. A recommendation of rod components based exclusively on one or two of these variables has limited value.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 08:41PM

For the taller guides you can built a rod tube from rain gutter material.

Date: February 02, 2017 08:52PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info. I have been reading up. Info overload! @ Phil, one must start somewhere..

Regards,
Rick Elrod

Date: February 02, 2017 09:30PM

Rick, what species of fish are you targeting, what size spin reel and what type of line are you planning on using? This will give a little more info for helping you.
Norm

Date: February 02, 2017 10:00PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick, what species of fish are you targeting, what
> size spin reel and what type of line are you
> planning on using? This will give a little more
> info for helping you.
> Norm

Mostly LM & SM Bass. I have a Stradic Ci4 2500 & 3000. For finesse I mostly use 8 lb. Floro

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 10:46PM

I recently built a rod similar to what you are looking for I think. Mine was the lightest rod, handle and guides available with the best sensitivity. I used the minima guides and a Baston Immortal blank recommended by several people on this board. I use a reel that weighs the same as your CI4, an Okuma Helios with usually 6 lb mono or fluorocarbon. In fact I caught 3 bass with it today. I've been using mono more lately due to the fact it doesn't spring off the spool as much. Fluorocarbon is on my baitcasters and it handles fine.

Date: February 02, 2017 11:10PM

Alex Weissman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently built a rod similar to what you are
> looking for I think. Mine was the lightest rod,
> handle and guides available with the best
> sensitivity. I used the minima guides and a
> Baston Immortal blank recommended by several
> people on this board. I use a reel that weighs
> the same as your CI4, an Okuma Helios with usually
> 6 lb mono or fluorocarbon. In fact I caught 3
> bass with it today. I've been using mono more
> lately due to the fact it doesn't spring off the
> spool as much. Fluorocarbon is on my baitcasters
> and it handles fine.

Alex, would you mind sharing what seat and handle you chose?

Regards,
Rick

Date: February 02, 2017 11:26PM

That is the same reel I use. I would use either Fuji KL-H16, KL-H 8, and KL-M 5.5; or KL-H20, KL-H10, and KL-M8 for the reduction train. These would be followed by five or six runners (all the same size) which would include one or two KBs size 4.5 or 4, with the rest being KTs size 4.5 or 4. The runner size is up to you, and you can go larger if you wish. The number of runners to use will be dependent on the length of the rod and its action. Fuji recommends using a LG tip top for a spin rod but could also use a FC tip top, depends on where you like the welded brace, up or down. This will give you a light and responsive setup that will cast very well. The size 16 stripper is lighter and will work fine, the size 20 stripper will allow for a little heavier line without really effecting performance with lighter line. If you want a lighter guide train you could use PacBay minima match (M) guides for the reduction train, in either sizes 16, 8 , and 5; or sizes 20, 10, and 5. Minima Fly (F) guides size 4 would be used as runners. The matching minima tip top will have a size 4 ring. The Minima M guides are very similar in height to the Fuji KL-H guides so make a suitable substitute. Use the Fuji KR GPS at Anglers Resource to get a good starting point for guide placement. In general, the Stripper guide will be 19 - 20" in front of the reel spool, and the first guide will be about 4" (9 - 10 cm) from tip top. Use the KR GPS to get the positions for the reduction and choke guides, and then progressively fill in with the rest of the runners. With the guides taped on run the liine from the reel through the guides and attach a small weight to the line and let it hang from the tiptop. What you are looking for is a nice straight line from the bottom of the spool to the choke guide and another straight line form the choke to the tip top. The line should just touch the bottom of each guide. May need to tweak guide placement a little when static testing and test casting. Hope this helps getting you started. If this is not clear or you have additional questions just ask.
Norm

Date: February 03, 2017 07:26AM

Thank you Norm! This will be a tremendous help. Looking forward to sitting down tonight and making a shopping list!

Regards,
Rick

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 03:48PM

I used the Mudhole Split-Grip Spinning Handle Kit SGK-6. The rod weighs about 2.5 oz and the whole outfit weighs 9 oz. It's 5 1/2' long and you probably like your rods longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster