I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat insert finishing
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 03:04PM

Finally watched Andy Dear's dvd after purchasing many moons ago and turned my first reel seat. I turned a stabilized, big leaf maple block and it turned out ok. Finished by alternating a few coats of CA w/150grit paper, then finish sanded to 2000grit. I would really like to make the grain pop and achieve a glossier look, can I use spar urethane (or use a different product/method altogether) after going through the CA/sandpaper process? Wasn't sure about adhesion. Tried some marine wax as a final coat but it doesn't look much different from the CA results.

Many, many thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat insert finishing
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 03:59PM

gun stock tongue oil should make the grain pop and provide a high gloss finish

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 01, 2017 07:02PM

I agree with Matthew. My choice of finish is Pro Custom Oil (hand rubbed applications) because the oil component is tung oil. I can't answer your question about applying over your previously applied finishes. No experience there.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 08:04PM

Many years ago finishing gun stocks I was taught an old trick. After you think you reached the final sanding stage, take a moist cloth (water) and wipe the wood, don't wet it, just a light sheen. Take a heat lamp or a heat gun and pass it over the wood drying it quickly. You may see tiny fibers that have been embedded in the grain stand up like little "fuzzies". Sand and repeat this several times to minimize this effect.
As for the finish I like to use boiled linseed oil and hand rub until the desired gloss is achieved.

When the wood is is ready for finish I start with a mixture of linseed oil and a small amount of FFFF grade pumice and rub the wood along the grain. Wipe off the pumice mix and continue hand rubbing with the oil only. Keep rubbing until you get the gloss level you want. At this point no other finish is necessary.

Also, as Matthew said gun stock tongue oil will also work.

Good luck
John

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:12PM

The time to pop the grain with oil (BLO or Tung) is BEFORE any finish coats are applied. One coat of BLO will do quite nicely on the bare wood. Apply liberally, let penetrate for a short time (say a half hour). then wipe off vigorously. Let cure for a few days and apply your finish coats. It won't work to apply the oil over the film finish coats. Oil finish, BLO or Tung, need to be in the wood. Left on the surface they will be soft and lack durability.

If you want an in the wood finish your best choice is a mix of oil and varnish, applied is the same as pure oil. It will look virtually the same, but be more durable especially as far as water resistance.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:12PM

duplicate deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 04:15PM by Steve Schoene.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2017 10:07PM

Thanks very much gentlemen, very appreciated! I will give the different oil treatments a test, I have some gunstock (Tru oil) and BLO handy. Turned an end cap this evening - this could easily become another addiction!

Thanks again!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 03:56PM

Mike,
I am sure that you realize, that once you have applied CA as a finish to wood, there really aren't many - if any finishes that can be applied over the ca and get good adhesion.

So, if you want to put on ca for a finish- just remember that it will be the top finish coat on the rod.

The oil finishes need to start with raw wood, and then just have multiple coats put on top of each other.

Another finish that works very well for a wood grip is a couple of coats of epoxy thread coating like thread master, pro coat or flex coat.

Apply one coat of finish. Let it cure and then sand it smooth. The first coat will raise any grain that has not been raised previously. So, you need to sand off any thing sticking above the first coat. Then, apply a 2nd coat and you will be good. Just rotate the grip in the same way as you would a rod and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 12:55PM

Thanks Roger, I'll be experimenting soon!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 05:20PM

I believe he says that this is stabilized wood, if so it will not have grain to raise,as the polymers used capture the fibers. I turn a lot of stabilized woods, and find the best way to get a great gloss is to finish the turning using ever fine grits, down to 1000 and then polishing with a piece of brown kraft paper sack at high speed. then a top coat of Tru-Oil.

If you want to salvage this work and achieve a high gloss, you should sand off the CA to start with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster