I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eternity 2 8 wt?
Posted by: rob davidson (12.111.103.---)
Date: February 01, 2017 12:55PM

Eternity blanks get rave reviews, but I wonder if I should build what they call their 7 wt in order to get a "true" 8 wt. I recently reached out to Batson asking for the CCS values. Here's what they told me. The 8 wt has an ERN of 9.66 and an AA of 68, while their 6 wt has an ERN of 7.15 and AA of 69. So they're both in the "fast" range, and seem to be about one weight stronger than they're marked. They hadn't yet measured the 7 wt.

I saw a review here a while back where someone built the 8 wt and it threw a 9 wt line into the backing in two hauls. So shouldn't their 7 wt blank do the same with an 8 wt line?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eternity 2 8 wt?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2017 02:40PM

You'd have to define what exactly is a "true" 8-weight. Any rod will throw any line, at some distance.

The Batson 8-weight is a true 8-weight in the sense that It will perform beautifully with an 8-weight line at medium to long distances. For fishing in closer, you may wish to move to a 9-weight line, however. Most of the higher line weight rods are designed to be used at longer distances so it's not surprising to see higher ERN numbers for them.

I would suspect the 7-weight in the same series would indeed be similar, but this is not always the case.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 02:56PM

Rob

It depends on how you define "true". Really. You're thinking is the blanks are rated about one line weight light where a 6 weight rod casts a 7 weight line well, a 7 weight rod casts an 8 weight line well, etc. But (there's always a but), How do you know the lines are "true"? Lines can be over / under rated as well. It's not uncommon for a given line rated weight be be as much as 1/2 line weight light or heavy. And while it is a reasonable guess that the 7 weight might handle an 8 weight line well there is no certainty it will.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 05:46PM

I have checked every fly blank I've encountered over the last few years and every one has CCS values at the upper limit of what you would expect for their weight class. None was at the weight class center. If you want a great 8 wt, do the Eternity 8 wt. I really like the Rio bonefish shooter line on my 8, which measures very close to that Eternity. It loads very well with short line out, but is not too heavy on long casts.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: February 02, 2017 12:26AM

I have used all the eternity2, except for the 10 weight. For me they perform well with the rated line class . I mainly use gpx, mpx , outbound short lines or lines with heads up 35-40 feet. However have I friend who uplines, but he he is using 12 feet or longer leaders. The blank carries uplining well, but I prefer it at the rated line weight and a crisper rod. Much depend on your casting style and preference. They are great blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 12:32AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 09:59AM

Terje Bendiksby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used all the eternity2, except for the 10
> weight. For me they perform well with the rated
> line class . I mainly use gpx, mpx , outbound
> short lines or lines with heads up 35-40 feet.
> However have I friend who uplines, but he he is
> using 12 feet or longer leaders. The blank
> carries uplining well, but I prefer it at the
> rated line weight and a crisper rod. Much depend
> on your casting style and preference. They are
> great blanks.

GPX, MPX, and Outbound Short are all uplines from their listed line weights.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.75.214.193.static.cust.telenor.com)
Date: February 02, 2017 11:22AM

I know. Maybe I should have be more specific. I prefer thosed line when I wade with water above my hip. If I am firm ground or boat SA saltwater line or similar is what I use . I think the blank handles a lot of different lines well within the given aftm number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 01:48PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 08:51AM

The functional "weight" of a rod - which means the ideal weight of line to use with it - depends upon the ability of the caster. An angler with a good double-haul usually prefers a different weight line with a particular rod than an angler who can not double haul.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2017 10:57AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The functional "weight" of a rod - which means the
> ideal weight of line to use with it - depends upon
> the ability of the caster. An angler with a good
> double-haul usually prefers a different weight
> line with a particular rod than an angler who can
> not double haul.

It also depends on the amount of line held beyond the tip of the rod. 20 feet of say, 8-weight line does not weigh the same as 60 feet of an 8-weight line.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 02:54PM

True, and an accomplished fly caster can also successfully cast a wider range of weights of one-piece fly lines and a wider range of shooting heads. Failure to consider all crucial information when devising an optimal system leads to disappointment and wasted time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster