I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spray paint
Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 02:52AM

Just read someone else's post about and it got me thinking. My dad has always told me when painting a blank it needs to be epoxy based, but I've talked to another rod builder who said it doesn't matter, keep in mind all rods will be fully flex coated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spray paint
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2017 08:11AM

You shouldn't coat the blank with Flex Coat nor any other epoxy - wrong product for the job. Beyond that, any quality paint can be use. An epoxy paint, if it's really epoxy and not just labeled as such, would supposedly be a bit harder, but in most cases it's unnecessary.

Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.sub-174-228-136.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2017 01:13PM

What do you mean you shouldn't flex coat the blank?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 01:26PM

Misunderstanding, Flex coat is a brand of finish epoxy and it is not a wise thing to entirely coat your rod with a finish epoxy. Much too heavy. When painting a blank you should use a paint that is flexible so it does not crack. That is why paints suitable for plastic as well as for cars are recommended due to their flexibility.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.sub-174-228-144.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2017 03:21PM

I flex coat every rod I build, and 90% of the rods I've seen are completely flexed, most of what I build are heavier class boat rods, shark rods etc.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 06:07PM

Wow, why do you do that? What's the advantage?
Norm

Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.sub-174-228-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2017 07:59PM

What's the disadvantage?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:01PM

Weight, yellowing, unnecessary. Granted it won't unduly affect the performance of the heavier type rods you're building, but wrap finish epoxy is not the correct product for top coating rod blanks. It is more likely to scrape, scuff, peel, etc. than other, lighter, harder yet more flexible top coats such as many urethanes.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2017 08:09PM

Why would you epoxy an entire blank? As stated, wrong product for the job.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2017 08:10PM

Why would you epoxy an entire blank? As stated, wrong product for the job.

Maybe I just don't pay attention...but I've never seen a rod blank fully coated in epoxy. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2017 11:25AM

I did a full epoxy coating of a rod for a customer.

The rod was a memory rod and after receiving, wanted to hang it on the wall of his living room for a memento to his father. He wanted the look that the heavy full length coating of epoxy gave the rod.

He never intended to fish with the rod after it received its heavy coat of epoxy. But for his purpose the epoxy coating on the rod was perfect.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster