I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waviness of final finish
Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 10:22PM

I apply LS Supreme as recommended, using a good brush, running lengthwise after the first coat. After the second coat, I sand lightly to try to even the waves out, then coat again with the Supreme. I do not thin out finish, and move rapidly down rod, then remove excess. I use a 6 rpm drying PacBay motor, yet still reatin the waves. Any suggestions. I am trying not to go over 4 coats at the most. I also use a alcohol flame across rod to eliminate air bubbles. Whole process takes 8 minutes. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waviness of final finish
Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 11:15PM

Sanford: First of all, no flame or heat of any kind. Simply follow the directions to the letter. Second In my experience 6 R.P.M. is too slow. I have had my best results especially with LS Supreme at approx 60 R.P.M.I just used my wrapping machine as a dryer to achieve the desired speed.Then another coat or two should even out your finish. I hope this helps. Tom

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 04:32AM

I agree with Tom. My drying motor is also reversible so I change the turning direction every 5 minutes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 08:27AM

I have such a hard time understanding so many of the finishing problems. Just this past Monday I finished a 50lb offshore trolling rod with LS Supreme - 1 application and it gave me good depth and is level enough that you can lie a straightedge on it anywhere and have it match exactly. This rod was not rotated other than to spin it 180 degrees every 10 minutes or so for the first hour and a half. It's darn near perfect.

If you are certain that you are not applying too much at one time, by all means try a rotating speed of much more than the usual 6 or 18 rpms. We are hearing from more and more people that a speed of 40 or 50 rpms is better, and that certainly makes sense.

Finishing is one of those things that you almost need to see done in person. It's just awfully hard to figure out some of these various problems without seeing the process live. Perhaps before you finish your next rod you might take scrap blank pieces and make some sample or test wraps and try more speed and maybe some different techniques on them as well. I call this the "stumble" method and while it is slow you can often stumble upon a problem and how to fix it just by experimentation.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 16, 2001 12:48AM

I'm a rank newbie, but I swear that finish works almost perfectly every time! I have mine turner set for about 20 RPM. Maybe the 6 is too slow?

TH

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 16, 2001 04:18PM

Every time I have had wavyness, it is related to TOO much finish applied in one setting. (well this is the only common denominator at least)

Posted by: kris bourgeois (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 11:51PM

I have had the same problem with the wavy finish and I use a 6rpm turning motor also. The other day I tried putting less finish on at one time and it seemed to be better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster