I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage one 896-4 8w fly rod build with fb components
Posted by: Lonny Lampshire (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 12:18AM

I posted earlier about reel seats and had some good ideas, I'm thinking about a REC RFTS with a 1.5RCR removable radius fighting butt and was looking at titanium snake guides. I just wanted some input from some experienced builders on here. I'm building it for myself and just want the best of the best. I was looking at some other seats but I wasn't sure if I could put a removable butt on it so that's why I'm going with this. Is this a quality seat is my biggest question? I may use it for salt also. Any input would be great. Thanks, Lonny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage one 896-4 8w fly rod build with fb components
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 08:08AM

Lonny,
I only use REC reel seats and I only fish the salt. But I use either the RSLL or the smaller RSLS. You can use either on the 8wt. The RFTS is the Tru Track model and more expensive but I do not like them at all because I don't find that they hold the reel foot as well as the RSLL or RSLS.
For that rod I would go with the REC Recoil guides - either snakes or single foot.
On the latest #8 I just built I used the REC RSPG spinning guides . The #10 just after my stripper . then the #8 then runners of #8L. They have legs that keep the line from coming in contact with the blank while casting, They are still light enough.
I use a very high stripper - a Fjui TSVSG - now discontinued. So the #10 may be too high and the ring on the #8 is too small for the guide right after the stripper. So you will hane to go with a #20 REC Recoil - then a #16 then the #8. Then #8L as runners
Sorry to through that curve ball - but you can always stay with conventional fly guides.
The REC Recoil are not Titanium - they are a nickel titanium alloy.
BTW - REC is coming out with a fly runner that has a good size leg to keep line off the blank. But it will catch the line in the "V" section of the guide. Unless they remedy I will not use it.
Herb

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 09:31AM

Lonny

I'm with Herb with regard to REC seats for heavier weights and those intended for salt. REC provides multiple fighting butt options. Just read the descriptions carefully to make certain you purchase the compatible seat, butt, and cork check options.

With regard to removable fighting butts, I am not a fan. My preference is for a permanently mounted butt.

With regard to guides, I freely admit to being a stuck in the mud traditionalist still using snake guides. I've used REC guides, have no complaints, but switched to Snake Brand years ago and thus far no runs, drips or errors. Drop Mike McCoy at Snake Brand a line and ask him about the third party testing of his guides in a salt environment. If nothing else you will have another data point for making a best of the best decision.

Finally, if you are new to the salt, and regardless of your final component selections, know that cleanliness is truly next to Godliness. While a quick wipe down and air dry can work for fresh water, in the salt there is no substitute for an end of day - every fishing day - thorough wash, rinse, and dry.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 01, 2017 10:13AM

X2 on not liking removable fighting butts, I know no one, myself included who hasn't lost a removable butt. Also the hardware to make them removable is pretty heavy.

Date: February 01, 2017 11:57PM

The problem with Sage blanks is that they need the extra length of a removable FB to reach a full 9'0". REC has two types of "ad-on" FB's. Fixed and removable. Get the fixed. Another problem with Sage blanks and REC FB's is that the FB maxes out at 1.5". I like at least a 1.75" FB
Herb

Date: February 02, 2017 12:14AM

I ordered the RFTS and removable fb, after all the replies I'm thinking I'm gonna try to call them and change my order. Thanks everyone, been very helpful!. I believe the 896-4 is 9'6" and now I'm thinking of building my own FB. I've had the blank since before xmas and have been doing a LOT of research and looking, this has been the best info I have had. I don't have the option of looking at anything other than online and I'm definitely new at this. Gonna do a practice rod for my wife and hopefully get her into fly fishing. It's a 5wt mhx so I don't think I can go wrong with it! I'll use it if she don't! I'm still open for suggestions, I also was looking at some titanium snake guides, pretty pricey for sure, hope they are a good investment. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 12:33AM by Lonny Lampshire.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 02:59AM

Sage One 896-4B = 8WT 9'6" 4 piece Builders BLANK (not designated for factory finished production). I like these reel seats: Alps ALW-HERAWL2 & RAK7L2(TR), REC RGAL, Struble U-21 and Sea Guide TiFS, Guides: Fuji KW 16, 12 strippers REC Heavy duty RSNX(B) 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 and a HH large loop TT. 11 guides and a tip top. I don't like single foot snakes so if you are thinking about those I would get ceramic single foot guides instead with 7 or 8 mm rings and add a running guide (12 guides and a TT). Just my 2 cents.

Date: February 02, 2017 08:01AM

Lonny
before you build / install your grip and seat - measure all components and where they will fit on the blank.
You may find that you are right up to printed logo on rod - and maybe even over it.
My experience with Sage blanks is that one cannot build a FB on the blank without overriding the logo sticker.
Herb

Date: February 02, 2017 11:16AM

I'll do that, thanks Herb. I may have to put the kabash to a fighting but if that's the case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 01:34PM by Lonny Lampshire.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 08:28PM

Lonny,
They use a 7" full wells grip whereas most other brands use a 7 1/4" to 7 1/2". The butt is attached to the reel seat so the label is not covered. You should be able to use a 7" full Wells grip, leave about an inch to 3/4" of the blank outside the reel seat at the butt and still not cover the label. I just put one together on a nine foot blank and I was able to do that. I would think with a 9'6" blank the label should be up a little farther. Like Herb said dry fit everything before you glue it down. I like the butt to fit on the end of the blank and not mechanically in the reel seat end. The advantage is; it is lighter. Also depending on where the label is you may get away with a slightly longer grip by about 1/4" or more.
Lance

Date: February 02, 2017 08:43PM

Thank you Lance.

Date: February 03, 2017 01:35AM

Now at odds with either snake, or single foot guides. i was thinking about getting these. What are your thoughts on this? [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 03, 2017 08:36AM

Looks like it will get it done. Sage has always recommended going up 2 sizes from the recommendations on their website when using single foot guides vs snakes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster