I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish
Posted by: Ryan R Klenke (104.128.35.---)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:13PM

Hi I am fairly new to rod building. I have been having some trouble with my finish. The problems I am having is that it thicker and not dripping off the rod like some videos that I have watched. What can I do differently?
Another Question I have is how to prevent your finish from going up on your guides also known as "turtle necks"?

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:17PM

Work more quickly.
If necessary use a bit of "gentle heat" to thin the finish. But, do NOT over heat the finish.

If you are getting finish up the guide, you may very likely be putting on too much finish.

Take care

Posted by: Ryan R Klenke (104.128.35.---)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:18PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:30PM

Ryan R Klenke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problems I
> am having is that it thicker and not dripping off
> the rod like some videos that I have watched. What
> can I do differently?

> Thank you in advance.

Ryan - Why would you want it to drip off the rod? Watch this - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:32PM

If the finish is dripping off the rod, you've put too much on.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2017 01:42PM

Ryan

Some videos make a big deal of sealing "the tunnels" on either side of the guide feet. While sealing the tunnels is important, you might not have to do anything special to make it happen as many epoxy finishes contain wetting agents to cause the finish to penetrate the thread and thus fill the tunnels without your purposefully filling them.

Also try working from the outside or toe of the guides to the inside or heel. That might help prevent your putting excess finish where it can "wick" up the guides.

Finally, the best finish application is when there is no excess finish to drip off or otherwise need to be removed. A second finish application is preferable to the devil's own task of removing excess finish after it cures.

Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 02:44AM

Don't be afraid to apply a decent amount of flex coat, it'll spin itself out, if it's building up in a particular spot hit it with a little heat and pull some off with the brush. I use to go too light with flex coat and it never looked right. You'll get the hang of it, just takes practice.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 10:49AM

Applying multiple thin coats as opposed to a single large coat will give you more control over where the finish goes making it much, much, much easier to prevent the finish from riding up the guide. If you do a single coat, the amount of finish has to be within a decent window so it covers everything while not getting out of control. Either way, dripping off is a sign that its probably out of control and it's probably too much. Also, look at what 'build' finish you have. The videos you watch might be using medium or light build finishes, while a heavy build thick finish will definitely not drip off as easily.

Just to make sure we're not out of context though, do you have a link to one of these videos? I'm curious now

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2017 04:05PM

Make sure your ambient air temperature is warm enough. Cold epoxy is thick epoxy. I've read where some guys even keep small epoxy bottles in their pockets a little while before mixing. I've also read where some folk will QUICKLY microwave one or both parts A&B before mixing...careful with this as you don't want it hot...or even warm. The other thing is, are you using a high-build epoxy? If so, it is formulated to be inherently thicker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster