I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extra fast rod blanks
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 11:31AM

Hi all. Does anyone use extra fast rod blanks for their fishing? Most of the rods I use are fast action so I'm not sure of the differences in performance.

I was thinking of trying a steelhead blank with this action for close range carp fishing - essentially pitching bolt rigs in the smaller stream/rivers we have here. I figured since most pitching/flipping rods are pretty stiff a extra-fast action rod would be the rod blank to use.

thanks
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extra fast rod blanks
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 12:52PM

I don't know what a "bolt rig" is, but an extra fast rod is more likely to throw soft baits like maggots and dough balls off the hook.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2017 01:08PM

These are fairly subjective terms. All we know is that extra fast is faster than fast. But at what point would a faster action inhibit what you're trying to do? What you might want to look for would be a blank with a softer tip, which wouldn't necessarily be any faster than what you're using now, but the tip would load easier and there isn't likely to be much downside to the softness there. So you might look at live bait or hot shot blanks, both of which generally have very soft tips relative to the remainder of the rod.

Date: January 29, 2017 04:04PM

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

The "bolt rig" is simply a hook and sliding sinker (I use bell sinkers) set up but which has a limited amount of line for fish to take before feeling any resistance. For example, the sliding sinker is bracketed by two split shot six inches apart. The fish has then six inches of free line and then feels some weight and then bolts - that's the theory at least.

I'm using bollies and plastic corn on a hair rigs which are pretty durable and aren't being cast great distances. But I'll check out the live bait and hot shot blanks as suggested.

Thanks
Tom.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 06:10PM

The 8 1/2 ft., two piece hot shot blanks just maybe what your looking for, they are not as abrupt tipped as the shorter versions, make a decent salmon drift rod where tender baits are thrown. Rainshadow has two models, the lure rate you see isn't as relavent as it is with the standard salmon/steelhead as far as the butt power the blank has available. More power is available from these blanks in the butt.

Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2017 11:51AM

Tom are you fishing for what I'd call the normal range of carp size? Say 3-15 pounds? If so the Elliott E-SJ71M-XF Rod Blank would be a great carping blank for that size fish. Not that you couldn't catch a 20 bagger on it but more made for fish to 15 lbs. I fish too fish carp (I'm a dough ball guy) and this blank is really fast the first 12 inches or so then you have a about a foot of what I refer to as response or a tiny bit softer area then you get power. If you are fishing cover and or near heavy current this blank will have enough power to get control over most carp up to 10-12 pounds.

Date: January 30, 2017 03:43PM

I'm surprised that a species-specific fisherman would seek tackle appropriate for an average sized specimen rather than a big one - "just in case"!!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 30, 2017 04:45PM

Caught one 51 lbs. in MI on a G Loomis HSR 1023 with few problems, reason I mentioned it. Was back in the mid 80's.

Date: January 31, 2017 08:36AM

Concur the 8.5' Rainshadow hot-shot blank has plenty of power in the butt section, enough to handle any carp I've ever seen. And with a bow in NY I shot one that weighed 48 lbs. on a DEC scale.

Date: January 31, 2017 08:21PM

Most of the carp in our area seem to be in the 10-15 pound range. I've seen some huge ones which are likely pushing 25-30 pounds but have never hooked one.

So far a 9'6" steelhead blank rated for 8-12 pounds and 10 pound test has worked for the fish I've been catching. For now carp fishing in just for fun, and I can use the same rod for steelhead. Not sure if I'd get the same mileage with a pure carp rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster