I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dryer motor
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 07:12PM

Our microwave died, hee, hee, but the turntable still turns so no worries there. If I salvage the motor and it runs on 21 volts (which seems likely) may I also salvage the stepdown transformer that currently powers it? Haven't had time to rip it apart yet. I'd like it for a spare dryer motor. NO electrical knowledge!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dryer motor
Posted by: Jon Salter (---.sub-174-200-17.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2017 08:27PM

Is it really worth the trouble? Aren't they like $20? LoL

Date: January 28, 2017 09:31PM

Seems to be a rather widely used item. Anybody can buy something, the best things in life are free. Besides, thing have been a little slow around here lately.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 09:40PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 10:00PM

They may be widely used, but the 110V and not the ones with a stepdown transformer

Ron Weber

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 11:29PM

Lynn

I agree with you, fiddling with free stuff is fun. Curious about the motor, what makes you guess its 21 volts? The power requirements are relatively easy to over come once we know what kind of motor it is. The biggest challenge is the shaft size, if it is too small to adapt to, it may cause the project to be scrubbed, however, if the shaft size is manageable then some clever adapters could be cobbled up.
In any event please report the progress and share the info on the motor. RPM, voltage, size, etc..
Good Luck.

John

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 03:10AM

Where’s Roger when you need him?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 04:26AM

I made my first rod dryer using an old microwave motor. I don't know if it was hooked up to a step down transformer, because to be honest, I wasn't aware that it might be lol

The motor had 110V markings on it, so I just purchased a cord with one of those little dial on/off switches and hooked it up. I worked great. My problem with it is that I was also using it to apply finish for my wraps. It was a 6 rpm motor, and was just way too slow for my liking. I had thoughts of working up a pulley and belt system to increase the rods turning speed, but by the time I bought all the stuff to do that, it was cheaper to buy a faster 18 rpm motor.

The faster motor makes applying finish easier, but it's still too slow for my liking. I'm seriously considering a power wrapper.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 10:18AM

At the Lamiglas factory they apply finish at 200 rpm. The motor used is the size used on a drill press or washing machine, nothing delicate there like we put in our shops.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 11:40AM

[www.repairclinic.com]

Yes, the motor in your microwave is a 21 volt AC motor. So, any of the very common 110v - 24 v step down transformers used for home furnaces, door bells etc. will work just fine.

However, as others have said, the tiny square shaft is really not very good to make a power connection to a dryer chuck.

-----------------------
Also, as others have said, it works many many times better to use a power wrapper to apply thread finish. With a power wrapper you can vary the speed from 0 (for guide tunnels, and other small areas) to the maximum speed of the wrapper.
Many of the commercial builders use a fixed rpm motor of 200 rpm, with a slip clutch, so that if necessary, the rod can be stopped for guide tunnels or similar areas.

Rather than using a microwave motor - I would rather use a DC gear motor with an extended shaft to give both the versatility of an extended shaft for easy power connection to the dryer chuck as well as the ability to vary the speed by a simple speed control circuit, as well as motor reversal with the flip of a switch.

Take care

Date: January 29, 2017 03:06PM

Well I just tore it apart. I suspected 21 volts after looking up a replacement motor for that model and that is what I have. The shaft is only about a 1/2" long, is half round where it engaged the turntable, and is plastic. I had never intended it to be used for finish application, only as a dryer in the event my current one quits. (you don't even want to know where that one originated, that would be a whole new chapter!) I had hoped as David said to just wire a switch on it, plug it in and go. Thanks for the transformer info Roger, I may use it yet. Too cold out in the garage, had to come in. I spent countless hours ice fishing in the past, and now you couldn't drag me out there!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 30, 2017 10:24AM

I have one dryer made from an old microwave 110VAC motor

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2017 12:50AM

I use a microwave motor for my dryer. I pulled the motor and the plastic part that the plate sits on.

[imgur.com]

This one is mine. It looks like crap, but works great.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2017 11:14PM

I've been using a bbq spit motor for more years than I can remember. I just mount it in my vise and clamp a wood v to the bench. For a chuck I use a large crutch tip and tape the handle to fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster