I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy
Posted by: Larry Daniels (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 11:33AM

At what temperature is good to epoxy rod guides.the temperature in my garage is between 55* and 60*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2017 12:00PM

That's a bit low and you'll find the epoxy a bit thick to easily work with, not to mention that it'll take a long time to set and cure. If you can get the temp above 65F you'll be better off.

Posted by: Larry Daniels (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 12:10PM

Ok thanks for the info I'll have bring in the house then make the wife happy

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 12:37PM

Larry

If you really want to make the wife happy, tell her you will be happy to dust, clean floors, etc. AFTER the epoxy cures. That is always good for mega points with She Who Must Be Obeyed and helps keep the dust off fresh epoxy in the bargain.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 04:34PM

in my years of using epoxies I have found that temp of 65 - 70 is prefect and medium to low humidity for curing.
you can get a ceramic heater at the home improvement store and you have to remember that heat rises so heater on the floor and the project at the edge of the bench some guys have made a tent like enclosure around their work area out of a plastic tarp. it also helps with keeping the dust down.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 04:35PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2017 05:03PM

Humidity has no effect on the setting and curing of epoxy.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 10:39PM

true it doesn't affect the cure but it does affect the thread

Humidity has no effect on the setting and curing of epoxy.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 12:00AM

Larry

My advice is to follow the instructions from the manufacturer, because if one has issues with the product the first question that is asked is “did you follow the instructions”.
If you deviate from the MFG recommendations and the results exceeds expectation all well and good if it does not then resort back to the manufacturer’s requirements.

To answer your question, I personally do not apply epoxy below 65 degrees F.

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 12:30AM

Matthew, how is it that humidity effects nylon thread, I'm curious? Seems to me it would take a huge amount of humidity to have any effect on applying epoxy to thread wraps.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 03:03AM

Nylon has a tendency to absorb moisture, whether submersed in water or taking the humidity out of the air. When it absorbs, it expands, when it “dries out”, it shrinks
Tom is correct in that humidity has virtually no effect on epoxy’s ability to cure, other than higher relative humidity may promote “amine-blush” or a thin waxy film on the surface. The amine blush is formed when the surfaces of most 4-to-1 structural epoxies are exposed to oxygen, and after all, water is composed of oxygen. I have not experienced any amine blush with any or the 1-to-1 epoxies within the rod building epoxies. So go ahead and build your rod while floating on the pool.
Most common epoxies are designed to optimally cure at 72*F. Above that the cure rate is accelerated, and below that they are decelerated, both on a geometric, not linear scale. Any catalyzed epoxy (basically thermo-plastic) will eventually cure at low temperatures (given above 0*K) but the time required may not be practical. Excessive temperatures while the epoxy is curing risk compromising the ultimate qualities and integrity of the epoxy. As I have previously mentioned, virtually any epoxy will benefit from a post heat cure of =<150*F.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 03:27PM

I agree with Mark and recommend a post cure for this application.

The post cure process will improve the mechanical properties as well as the temperature resistance of most epoxies. Therefore post curing the epoxy at a temperature higher than the material will see in use is recommended. I guess the analogy could be the same as tempering of steel.

Depending on the epoxy used post curing should be initiated between 12 hours and before full cure at room temperature, this is important because after the epoxy FULLY cures at room temperature post curing will have no effect on the materials properties.

GENERALLY recommended cure temperature for RIGID materials is 175 degrees F for 8 to 24 hours.
GENERALLY recommended cure temperature for FLEXIBLE materials is 140 degrees F for 8 to 24 hours.

These are GENERAL recommendations NOT GOSPEL and varies for different materials and epoxies..

John

90% OF MY MONEY IS SPENT ON FISHING THE OTHER 10% I JUST WASTE!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2017 04:00PM

My recommendation for keeping the wife happy. Put a sheet of foil (Reynolds wrap) on the table the length of your rod. Any epoxy spills/drips will be of no worry.

I do all of my epoxy work inside the house. My dryer is set up in a small utility room where I can close the door and turn on a small space heater. No worries about cool temperatures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster