I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Builders
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 07:17PM

I built my 1st rod circa 1980, in an attempt to have better rods for less money than I would otherwise spend, and living less than 30 miles from Dale Clemmens Custom Tackle, I paid nothing for shipping and this dream actually came true. I didn't build many from 91-05 but have been going ever since. Now, I don't get out much, but in all these years I've never met another fisherman who's told me they'd like to build their own rod. Do you guys have people express an interest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Builders
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: January 27, 2017 07:29PM

Lynn I have a gentleman who I've built several rods for express an in interest as he is retiring. I am meeting with him this weekend to help him get setup and answer whatever questions I can.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 08:08PM

I have had a couple of customers express interest in building, one followed through, the other did not.

However the fly fishing club I belong to in Northern California (Diablo Valley Fly Fishermen 390 members) holds rod building classes twice a year that are almost always over subscribed.)

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:17PM

i am one of the new builders…i had a custom rod made for me back in 1981( flippin stick that i still have ) . a fishing buddy of mine made some rods for me a few years back, and i was curious as to how it was done. after having made my own plastic worms and spinnerbaits for years, i figured it was time to try my hand at building a few rods for myself. big mistake ! now im addicted to it ! LOL im still learning as i go, but i really wish i had started when i was younger. absolutely love rodbuilding ….

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 09:18PM by Sam Folds III.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:34PM

I got Roger Seiders to build me a rod for longcasting tailraces using light line sometime in the early 80's. Never gave a thought to building my own for the next 20 yrs. I've built a fair amount since then, but have never had anyone that I've built for show an interest in doing it themself. I've help several that I didn't previously know get started. tho.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:39PM

I got Roger Seiders to build me a rod for longcasting tailraces using light line sometime in the early 80's. Never gave a thought to building my own for the next 20 yrs. I've built a fair amount since then, but have never had anyone that I've built for show an interest in doing it themselves, including my 36 yr old son. I've help several that I didn't previously know get started, tho.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 09:48PM

Over the years I have shown a number of people how to build a basic rod. Most of them were people that loved everything fishing, and several were serious tournament fishermen. These people ranged from teenager to middle age, and many of them still build or repair all the rods they use.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 10:39PM

Was always willing to help teach the art to another have had quite a few and had some that thought the cost was to much to invest in just the parts and then spend the time to do it lol
Those that followed through are quite talented and have come a long way from their start .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 28, 2017 11:30AM

I have a friend that worked with me on a party boat 30 years ago I made a rod or two for him. He got his son for Christmas the equipment and then came over for a 101 class.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 04:06PM

When I made surfboards back in the 80's and when I would meet a new group of surfers, usually from traveling, there would always be someone that would say; "I could do that". I never new anyone that said that, to actually do it. When I wanted to learn it was out of necessity because I could not find a shaper that could make the board I wanted. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang out with other board builders and learn how to glass boards but I never even watched them shape one, I taught myself that and worked out my own techniques. I never told a person before I started doing it that"I could do that". I believe that is the narcissist attitude of a few arrogant surfers. When I began building rods it was because I could not afford a Sage fly rod and I wanted one. So I bought the Sage blank, found whatever Lefty Kreh wrote about building fly rods (He likes a larger stripper guide) got a Struble reel seat, H & H guides and some Gudebrod thread. There was no internet at the time so I found a guy that built custom fishing rods from a small add in the newspaper. I called him up, he invited me over to his house after I told him I was interested in learning how to make rods. I can't even remember his name, he was a retired Houston police officer and he answered every question I had, showed me how to wrap guides and mount a reel seat. I was there about two hours and never saw him again. A whole bunch of rods later no one had ever said after they found out that I make custom rods "I can do that". To me this says a lot about fishermen. Just this last year for the first time ever, two people have asked me, at separate times, where they could get supplies to make their own rods, so I told them and they both asked if I would show them how to do something if they got stuck. I think with everything you ever wanted to know about anything on the internet, you can just about teach yourself whatever you want to know, so this does not come up very often anymore.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2017 07:32PM

Lance , great reply. I had a custom rod given to me as a gift in the late 70's and when I next saw the builder he told me (we'd known each other in the past) " you can do this yourself" and Iv'e never looked back. All it takes is a little advice and some reassurance and your on your way. At the same time I had a 2nd. cousin who built custom rods in a local fly shop and he wouldn't tell me %$#&! Thanks for the replies guys, it's good to hear there's interest in the craft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster