I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji SK2 Disappointment
Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: January 27, 2017 03:34PM

I may have mentioned this before but I am really disappointed in the lack of options for the casting rear grips.
Big fan of the Winn grips but they only have one grip that fits and it's only about 2 1/2", did they make the grip for toddler size hands?
Not sure which way to go....change to EVA or change reel seats, but I am very frustrated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji SK2 Disappointment
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 03:42PM

Change seats or buy a lathe and turn your own. I think those seats were born for JDM bass rods.

Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: January 27, 2017 04:01PM

Do you mean Japanese market?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 04:03PM

Correct, Japanese Domestic Market

When they first showed up I bought a few, along with some EVA grips and the winding checks. I never did use them. Tiny!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 04:06PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 27, 2017 04:24PM

Use the Pac Bay or Phenix reel seat and don't look back. Simple fix, now everything fits.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 06:17PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Change seats or buy a lathe and turn your own. I
> think those seats were born for JDM bass rods.

X2. It is not that difficult to turn your own. It is a good seat and very light. I never had one fail.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 06:18PM

I agree the Fuji Winn grips for the SK2 reel seat is tiny. Some people like a short rear grip because it puts the rear of the hand directly on the blank, but the Fuji Winn grip for the SK2 grip is just too small in diameter. If you like Winn grips change seats and use a fatter Winn grip. I use the PAC Bay Minima seat quite a bit, but never used the Phoenix split reel seat. Could also use any of the one piece seats with an exposed blank design.
Norm

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 07:11PM

Norm, my last build was Winn grips with ACS seat and I was happy with it....I just love the look and feel of the SK2 though....I bought an EVA rear grip just in case.
I wouldn't mind figuring out how to make my own Winn grips though...lol

Date: January 27, 2017 07:28PM

Jon, you could just cut the tenon off a larger diameter Winn grip and butt the grip up against a size 17 SK2 seat. Could also contact cement an EVA ring at the rear of the grip and it sand down so it is flush with the seat. These are a couple of other options that might help.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 11:02PM

Jon, Mud Hole lists a Winn 3 1/2" split grip made to fit the SK2 reel seat. Unless you have overly large hands, I would think 3 1/2" would be fine.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 11:10PM

David I looked several times and several websites with no luck.
If you are referring to the MHX Winn grips I can't get past the neon green! LoL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 11:16PM by Jon Salter.

Date: January 27, 2017 11:22PM

David is correct. Although I have not used this particular MHX Winn grip, MHX's other rear casting grip has a larger diameter than most other Winn grips I have used. The only problem is the MHX advertisement. If that does not bother you, they may be a good choice.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2017 02:00AM

LOL Jon ..... I can understand that. It wouldn't be my choice of colors either. And yes, the one I was referencing was the MHX tagged grips.

Is it that you want the grips made for the SK2 because of the tenon it has on it? Or is it the OD of the grip versus that of the reel seat? I saw on Winn's web site that they offer grips with an OD of 1.08". That's pretty close to (.103 larger than) the OD of the SK2 casting reel seat body. If that kind of difference in diameter wouldn't bother you, (it would bother me lol) It has a tenon on it that you may be able to modify to work.

On a general note, it sure would be nice if manufacturers supplied comprehensive dimensions for products like grips and reel seats.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 02:04AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 11:14PM

I'm sure other folks have done this too, but I've used "regular sized" Winn grips with size 16 SK2 seats several times. For fairly a streamlined fit, you can easily cut the tenon off and then shape the short black foam section between where the tenon was and where the grip material begins to taper it down to the O.D. of the SK2. I've built several for customers like this and no one has had a complaint or mentioned that the transition area was noticeable when fishing.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 30, 2017 09:10AM

Jon, get yourself a decent power wrapper and shape the grips in either EVA, natural cork, or burl cork to EXACTLY the size you want. Custom grips with SK2 reel seats are really nice.
Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster