I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Color Changes
Posted by: Charlie Visek (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 27, 2017 12:29PM

Has anyone done a list or chart showing NCP thread colors and the colors they transition to when wet?

I did see on one of the posts that scarlet becomes maroon. Did it, right on, looks great on a RS Rev blank! Just wondered. I too like the translucent effect on the wrap.

Also I wondered what likers of the NCP thread use to blacken the filed area of a black framed guide foot. Sharpie, fingernail polish, paint marker, ink?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Color Changes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2017 12:42PM

NCP thread doesn't change color by much - are you sure you're not referring to regular nylon which darkens and turns semi-translucent?

Date: January 27, 2017 01:35PM

Tom, guess I should better proofread my posts. You're correct, regular nylon colors that darken to become a different color.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 27, 2017 03:40PM

Angler's Workshop before the move had pictures in their catalog that helped. Thing is none of those threads are still available.
I don't care usually what that guide foot looks like, I don't look at the bottom of the rod much where the guides are, if I'm required to care I use black finger nail polish.

Date: January 27, 2017 03:58PM

Thanks Spencer. Guess I'll have to experiment.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 04:40PM

Whenever I wonder about thread color change, I just do a short wrap on the blank of the rod being built.

Then, I just use a brush to coat the thread wrap with denatured alcohol. The color that the thread becomes when wet with DNA - is fairly close to the color that the thread will be when dry after applying thread finish and it has dried.

So, if I am looking for a particular match - I will buy 2-5 spools of thread in the color family that I am trying to match and do test wraps with each to see how the colors pan out. Normally I only have to try two different colors to have the correct color that I will actually use.

Be safe

Date: January 27, 2017 05:14PM

Thanks Roger. Just trying to find out if anyone has logged results of colors after finish saturation. I was hoping not buy several spools to test.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 06:24PM

I have had NCP thread get dark spots in it, so now I use CP on anything I don't want to be translucent, NCP or not. The CP also helps set the guide position after final adjustments (makes it harder to move).

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 07:06PM

What you can do to visualize the color change and CP effects, is on a scrap piece of blank, wrap 1"' of all the colors you use, spaced apart, them apply CP to half of each wrap (no CP to the other half) then apply the epoxy. This will give you a side by side comparison of, with and without CP. This does not take into account the effect of different colored blanks as the base.

I find using this tool to be very helpful in working with clients to show them them outcomes.

I have also made a similar piece with all the various types of trim wraps I do, ie. color combinations, tip wraps, imbedded,, spiral, olive leaf, etc.

It gives the customer something to chose from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 07:10PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: January 27, 2017 07:14PM

Lance, any issues with guide bonding with finish over CP?

Phil, thanks, I'll do a display piece with what I have.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2017 10:29PM

Charlie Visek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance, any issues with guide bonding with finish
> over CP?
>
> Phil, thanks, I'll do a display piece with what I
> have.

No Charlie, not yet. I do make it a habit of cleaning the the rod blank with Denatured Alcohol or Acetone prior to wrapping. I have repaired some of my rods where the guide got damaged and needed to be replaced. The foot was not loose or easy to remove so it appears the CP had no negative effect on the bonding. I have re-used guides after someone broke the blank and rebuilt the new rod with those, again all the guides seemed to be well bonded and not easily removed.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 29, 2017 11:06PM

Kind of hitting on what Roger said...I have a old piece of blank that I have done short wraps on with each color thread that I have, including NCP and Nylon, and applied thread finish over them. I do two wraps of the same color next to each other and then CP one of them and leave the other without CP (even on NCP thread as the NCP will change a little bit without CP). This way I have a quick reference when trying to match thread for repairs, or letting customers select a thread color, knowing exactly what the finished product will look like.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: January 30, 2017 12:28PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you can do to visualize the color change and
> CP effects, is on a scrap piece of blank, wrap 1"'
> of all the colors you use, spaced apart, them
> apply CP to half of each wrap (no CP to the other
> half) then apply the epoxy. This will give you a
> side by side comparison of, with and without CP.
> This does not take into account the effect of
> different colored blanks as the base.
>
> I find using this tool to be very helpful in
> working with clients to show them them outcomes.
>
> I have also made a similar piece with all the
> various types of trim wraps I do, ie. color
> combinations, tip wraps, imbedded,, spiral, olive
> leaf, etc.
>
> It gives the customer something to chose from.

Ditto

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: February 02, 2017 11:05PM

Color transitions - PacBay nylon threads
Tested several 5 colors. Grey (Y100A-GG), Tan (Y100A-TN), SkyBlue (Y100A-SB), Spring Green (Y100A-SG) and Old Gold (Y100A-OG). Wrapped two 1/4" bands of each color.on a charcoal blank. One set of bands got a coat of CP and finish and the other set just finish. Here my are the results. The set with CP darkened colors by 15-20%, the set with just finish darkened by 50%-80%. Of the finish only I give special mention of the colors Old Gold which turned into a root beer or ginger depending on light source and the Tan thread turned into one of my favorite softbait colors green pumpkin. .Spring green turned into a kelly green, the grey surprised me by turning into a dark charcoal/ grey/green and the sky blue into a light navy blue.

I did wrap a couple colors of PacBay colorfast threads too! I am impressed how well the thread wraps blend to each other. After finishing they only darkened maybe 5% and look like a band tape on the blank.

My next rod will get the green pumpkin treatment, color coded for worm fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster