I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod build delemma continued...
Posted by: Dane Griffin (---.au-net.ne.jp)
Date: January 25, 2017 08:37PM

Hello all, I'd like to thank all of you who have been so helpful providing tips to helping a buddy out fixing his first build errors. I've gotten to the point now the the guides have been removed as well as all of the epoxy that was spread along the length of the blank. The epoxy came off surprisingly easy, FYI the plastic butter knife was the best tool I could find for the job. As far as I can tell, there's no damage to the blank, however there is a few spots that look a little scuffed. The blank is a Phenix Titan popping rod, which claims to be built from Toray's multi composite materials, blended together with a "secret sauce" resin. I'm a little concerned about sanding the blank and applying a permagloss, if there is a factory finish on this blank it is very thin and very matte, I just don't want to irreversibly damage the blank. If anyone can please provide some tips to properly sanding the blank (if recommended) prior to applying the permagloss it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod build delemma continued...
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 09:23PM

If it is just a few scratches and you just need the smooth it up use a 1000 - 2000 grit wet/dry paper and wet sand it . Does not take a lot to smooth it out. This wet/dry paper is almost like buffing and will not remove graphite or damage the blank, but will give you a good base for the Permagloss to adhere to. Finish is basically cosmetic so it's removal will not effects the rods performance. The Permagloss will give you a very nice and durable finish.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 09:48PM

even though there is a factory finish to the blank I would still take a scotch brite pad and lightly scuff it from bottom to top by doing that you might eliminate the scuffs you have if they aren't to deep and will give you a good bond with the perma gloss.
all so I had mentioned this once before to hit the home improvement store and invest a couple of bucks in an artificial lambs wool floor finish pad to apply the perma gloss you can cut off a piece of it and soak it so that you get full and even coverage I bought one back 5 years ago and still have more than half of it left but it worked so well for me so I share this with the community.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:00PM

I have been using round cosmetic foam sponges with good success, but the fake lambs wool finishing pad sounds intriguing. I think I will give it a try to see how it compares to other methods I have used over the years.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:17PM

Norm if you wet the lambs wool pad enough and you can do it in 1 stroke from top to bottom and cover the total diameter of the blank with out streaking or runs

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 10:24PM

Dane,
There is another very good option for you on this build.
Go ahead and remove all of the finish and do a final sand of the blank with first 600 and then 1200 wet and dry sand paper used wet.
Then, go ahead and build the rod as you wish.

After the rod has been built, just put a coat of wax on the blank and you will have a wonderful rod that will end up being lighter since there will be no finish on the blank.

Several manufacturers have been doing this for a long time and they are really great rods.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2017 12:26AM

Dane,
As usual, great suggestions from three veteran builders. However, if you are attempting to maintain a factory looking finish, I would consider using Roger’s approach first; just don’t get carried away with the wet-or-dry. If your Titan is similar to my Black Diamond Hybrid, PG will produce a shinier surface than the original, not mirror-like glossy but shinier none the less. A coat or two of quality PURE CARNUBA wax after everything is wrapped will blend away many imperfections. Keep us posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 29, 2017 12:14PM

Polishing compound on a rag and a lot of elbow grease will give you a shiny finish with very little chance of damaging the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster