I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Sizing
Posted by: John OBrien (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 08:44PM

I am building a surf 10'6 surf rod and pairing it with a zee baas 25 with braided line. I was planning on doing a ngc layout using fuji rv reduction guides followed by kw running guides. Was planning on using a size 20 - 16 - 12 reduction with 10 runniing guides, but I'm now questioning my sizing on the reduction train. Should I have gone with a size 25 stripper or will the 20 be large enough. ? None of the guides are wrapped yet so not a huge deal to swap a guide. Appreciate your expertise. Thanks everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 08:53PM by John OBrien.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Sizing
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 09:43PM

assuming it is a casting rod ? and not a spinning rod your lay out will work just fine.
but if it is a spinning rod I would use larger guides as the line paying off the spool needs to be tamed down to flow with out slap and diminished distance for a spinning I would do 50 or 40 , 30 or 25, 20, 16 12, then your 10's that will give you maximum distance for a cast .

watch this it might help you work through you lay out
[youtu.be]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 09:50PM by Matthew Paul.

Date: January 24, 2017 09:55PM

It is a spinning rod. I was under the impression that with the ngc and k guides smaller rings are better. I don't believe the even make these guides in a ring size larger then 25. If I am misinformed please correct me.

Thanks for the video. I will definetly try that method of sizing the guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 10:01PM by John OBrien.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2017 10:03PM

With braid you can go much smaller, in fact, you can do the same with mono although not quite to the same extent.

The larger challenge will be getting the right height for the NGC layout. This may require a larger ring than absolutely necessary, but not overly large. I cannot see going larger than a 30, and a 25 may well work fine depending your reel height.

I let the line path tell me what sizes to use. You can always use the guide set up calculator at the Angler's Resource website as a good way to do this as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 10:04PM

Tell us all you can about the rod and the diameter of the reel spool. Your a bit to general, it happens all the time, you know exactly what you have and don't realize others don't. One of the hardest things about getting good recommendations from forums.

Date: January 24, 2017 10:17PM

Reel size is a zee baas 25. Spool size is 2.5" and I use 50lb braid. The rod is a 10''6" century nor'easter. The reduction guides are the new Fuji rv guides. They are pretty tall, the 25 ring size is 55mm tall I believe. After watching the video Matthew provided I see what you mean about letting the line path dictate size and will certainly put that to good use. I also read your article on ngc Tom and I think I understood most of it. I'm just trying to only order once to avoid multiple shipping charges. Plus these guides are on the pricey side so I'd rather only buy what I absolutely need. Thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 10:31PM

Last I heard the Fuji RV only came in one size, 6 mm, and it is a casting rod guide, were you meaning the LC guides? The reels spool diameter is 63.5 mm, looking back through your NGC materials you'll see they recommend a guide close the half the diameter of the reel spool. With braid you can go a bit smaller, and you can stepdown the guide sizes faster using the NGC system. Have you plugged the info into the Fuji guide sizing program on the Anglers Rsrc - Fuji site to the left and see what they say?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 10:40PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 11:37PM

[anglersresource.net]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 11:40PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 12:14AM

With the Fuji KR concept, high frame small ring guides are used in the reduction train, because they control line flow better than large ringed standard guides. It really works well with braid. The Fuji RV 25 (55.5mm), 20 (47.4 mm) and 16 (36.2 mm) are all high frame small ring guides and were specifically designed to be KR reduction guides for surf rods. Fuji also developed two new KW guides to compliment the RV guides for developing a reduction train, and they are the KW12M (25.6 mm) and KW 10M (18.1 mm). Fuji likes to group reduction guides based on height, and then use the same size running guides. Although I have not used these guide, but based on my understanding of how to use these guides, I think a RV25, RV16, and KW12M would give a good reduction using either size 10 or 8 runners. Could also use RV20, RV16 (or KW12M), and KW12M (or KW10M). The trouble with these guides are that they are very expensive making it difficult to experiment concerning best guide size for your rod, reel and line. No matter with of the reduction trains you use, you want to try is to get a nice straight line from the bottom of the reel spool to the choke guide, and another straight line from the choke to the tip top, with the line touching the bottom of each guide. I am sure there are some here that have used these guides and may give you some first hand info on what guides to use. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 12:15AM

X2 Tom. I don't see the need to use a guide larger than a #30. Braid will allow you to move the stripper guide closer to the reel. Attach guides with tape and static test with reel attached. Make sure the line follows a clean line without angles. Once you have an acceptable setup take a few test casts to make sure the line doesn't slap the blank as it travels from reel to stripper guide. Good luck.

Date: January 25, 2017 07:55AM

Thank You to everyone for all the information. WIll be putting it all to good use. Ill post some pictures when its all finished. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster