I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod wrapping
Posted by: Thom Cherry (---.sevencounties.org)
Date: January 24, 2017 11:30AM

Most of my rod building is with bass and crappie rods. Recently, I have been trying fly rods, but the upper sections, by the tip, is too flexible for the jig I am using. With my current setup, there is too much tension on the rod and it bends too much for my comfort. Are there any suggestions out there on how to wrap the upper section of a fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod wrapping
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 11:54AM

Don't know what your wrapping set up is, but if your uprights are movable,, get them as close together as possible and still have access to the wrap area. This will help reduce the area subject to bending.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 11:58AM

And back off the thread tension a bit.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 01:44PM

I agree with Phil, your supports are too far apart. If you can't move them, I would add an intermediate support of some kind to reduce the sag. I personally would not reduce thread tension unless there are no other options.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2017 02:17PM

You could also try using a thread bobbin with some weight added if necessary.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 02:44PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

When building very light weight ice fishing rods, I use the blank support shown above to support the very flexible tip sections.

The base is a piece of plastic kitchen cutting board. It is cut to a size that works with the base of my wrapper. Holes are drilled into the base at intervals to support the blank supports that are made from solid fiberglass blank sections.

A dremel abrasive cut off wheel is used to cut a notch into the top of the fiberglass solid blank that is wide enough to support the blank being wrapped or dried. The fiberglass section is then cut to a length that will allow the blank to sit level when the rod being wrapped is in the wrapper. My wrapper uses a simple base with a 1/4 inch notch down the center of the base. The blank supports are bolted to the base with 1/4 inch carriage bolts that run from the underside of the wrapper base up through the blank supports.

When using these tip supports, I drop the thread so that it will pull from below the top of the fiberglass support section - compared to above the blank supports with the rest of my blank supports. The notches do not have a top on them, so if the thread comes from above the blank, the tension on the thread will tend to pull the blank up and out of the support notches.

Cost was 0 and it works very well. i.e. the supports were made from scrap materials from the shop.

I don't change the tension on the blank tip wraps because if I do- the wraps will be too loose.

Be safe

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 04:22PM

i agree with jim..i use a fly tyers bobbin holder...let it hang from rod over the bench edge and turn it with both hands...if rod angle is set right, the wraps will climb up the guide and lay right next to each other...it only takes seconds to wrap a guide and i never had to add weights to the bobbin..so far.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 06:26PM

Roger,
It doesn’t really surprise me you fabricated such great, unobtrusive, simple and effective uprights. When wrapping an ultralight blank, I can move my supports very close together but then the wheels can possibly interfere. It is comforting knowing there just might be others guilty yet blessed with over-thing now and then. lol

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thom Cherry (---.sevencounties.org)
Date: January 25, 2017 11:34AM

Thanks Roger. great idea and the pictures certainly help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster