I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand wrapping help
Posted by: David Moody (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 11:41PM

I'm new to rod building, so I've been watching instructional videos .
For some reason I can't seem to get the guide wraps tight enough
and close enough together.

I'm using Pro Wrap Color Fast in size "D"

Thanks

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand wrapping help
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 01:31AM

run your thread through a book and add more weight if needed to add more tension on the thread and then after you wrap you need to lightly burnish the threads with a plastic eating utensil or if you have a burnishing tool to close the gaps

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 11:56AM

David

Tight is not an objectively defined term. Nonetheless, too tight, too much thread tension, is not a good thing either. Think just firm enough such that the guides can be moved a bit for their final alignment.

With regard to packing thread, try using the edge of a plastic credit card to nudge every 3 or 4 turns to the previous 3 or 4 turns. Then as Matthew advised, burnishing will finish the wrap.

As you gain experience you will learn that some threads require more or less tension, more or less packing, etc. There is not a one size fits all formula.

Date: January 24, 2017 12:29PM

Thanks guys.

Dave

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 01:49PM

My questions would be what type of rod are you building and why are you using "D" thread? Colorfast thread is harder to wrap with than plain nylon and using "D" thread is making it worse. Starting out, I would use plain nylon "A" thread. That is adequate for most applications and is a lot easier to work with. You can always coat with color preserver if you want the opaque look.

Date: January 24, 2017 02:51PM

Ok. Thanks Bob. Didn't know that.
It's 7-4 spinng rod, med action.

Dave

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 04:44PM

Double posted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 04:52PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 24, 2017 04:50PM

Actually size D is easier to wrap in my opinion, and I can not tell the difference between color fast and regular tread as far as wrapping ease is concerned. Just keep your thread tension firm enough so you can rotate the rod without struggling. I think you can keep the wrap tighter and closer by wrapping towards you with the tread coming over the top. If you are right handed wrappring from left to right makes it a little easier to keep tension and pack.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 06:54PM

David,
While admittedly a rookie as well and without the vast experience of previous responders, I have to agree with Norman concerning D thread being easier to work with even though I prefer wrapping over the top and away from me. Either of those could start additional threads. Two aids I employ for tightly packed wraps are feeding the thread from slightly behind the direction of the wrap which has a tendency to automatically pack the thread as you progress and I also use a (modified) dental pick with a little pressure against the side of the thread to pack each wind of thread as the blank rotates. As a result, minimal if any burnishing is required.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 08:02PM

Packing and burnishing serve two different purposes. Packing to get the threads tight against each other, burnishing to flatten the thread, which of course does further pack the tightly, and also tends to lessen the "valley" between threads/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 08:05PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: January 24, 2017 08:16PM

Mark, how an you wrap over the top and away from you? Went down to the shop to try it that way and could not do it. Where is your thread spool located? It has to be between you and the blank. My thread spool is on the other side of the blank, I find this is the easiest way for me, and this also allows me to pull the blank slightly towards me to help maintain tension. I guess there are a number of different ways to wrap. Pick the way which is most comfortable for you. Mark is right about feeding the thread from slightly behind the direction you are wrapping. This slight angle does help the threads pack together better. I pack with my fingernail as I move along. Different strokes for different folks.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2017 10:43PM

As an example of Norman's statement about thread position, here is the rod - thread setup that I have used from the time that I have built my first rod.

It is a very simple but extremely effective way to wrap rods.
Note that the thread is on a simple weighted base, where it travels through a guide to a tension device and then it comes forward over the top of the rod. The top of the blank rotates toward the person doing the wrapping.

It is every easy to dial in the exact tension needed - from very light to extremely high tension. Easy to pack the thread very tightly. But after wrapping my first many rods, I very seldom have to pack thread much, because if you keep the thread at an angle and with the right tension - the thread tends to self pack very well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The weighted thread stand has a nylon base that slides easily along the top of the smooth rod bench.

Take care

Date: January 24, 2017 10:56PM

I wrap away from me and over the top. It seems easier that way.

I appreciate all the info. This is a great forum.
I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks to everyone.

Dave

Date: January 25, 2017 12:21AM

Maybe that is why you are getting loose wraps. Experiment and try the other orientation.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 07:54AM

I too wrap over the top. and turn the rod away from me. My thread spool and the eyelet I pass the thread through before it goes to the blank are between me and the blank. The eyelet the thread passes through is about 3" back from where the center line of the blank lays in the stands.

It makes it easy to see the thread, and to watch the angle of the thread that helps keep the wraps tight as mentioned earlier.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 04:20PM

Norman,
My spools are behind the blank and on a tray moveable the entire 12ft length of the 1 X 3 Tee slot aluminum base without obstruction of the uprights which are adjustably mounted to the rear of the base. The thread(s) is (are) guided by eyelets to one of four finial eyelets near the front of the tray which extends 3in out from the base, then up on, approximately, a 45* angle to the front side of the blank which is rotated away from me. Having all threads in front allows me to see and control inlays much better, especially when wrapping inlay threads around the standing thread as with my staggered vine leaf. I also find it easier to pack each wind with the pick while rotating away from me. I posted pics a few months ago under Equipment & Tools; Mark’s Wrapper if interested and/or my description is inadequate. Right or wrong, we all like what works for us which may not include consistency.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 25, 2017 04:45PM

You are right, whatever works for you.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster