I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does upsizing the tip top REALLY help with knots, i.e. bobber stops?
Posted by: Frank Gyan (220.70.81.---)
Date: January 23, 2017 02:28PM

Seen quite a few people do that but I'm yet to be convinced of its real effect. Is it really worth adding weight to the very tip of the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does upsizing the tip top REALLY help with knots, i.e. bobber stops?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 23, 2017 02:42PM

Frank there are so many ways people apply bobber stops to their line I build to what the customer does. My personal rods and my bobber stop, no.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 23, 2017 02:56PM

Frank there are so many ways people apply bobber stops to their line I build to what the customer does. My personal rods and my bobber stop, no.

Posted by: Frank Gyan (220.70.81.---)
Date: January 23, 2017 03:37PM

I can say with confidence that I use the best - Thill's string knots with 4-5 barrel wraps(they come with 7ish wraps which is unnecessary so I undo them), trimmed to near perfection. I get the smallest profile with the tightest lock. Just FYI.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 06:20PM

Frank,
Just do a test.

Make two identical rods with identical guide trains.

Put a size 3 tip top on rod and a size 6 tip top on the other rod.

Then, while blindfolded do a bunch of casting and retreiving with each rod - having an assistant to call the shots - so to speak on each rod.

I would doubt very much that you could identify every single time whether you were / are fishing with a rod that has a size 3 tip top - compared to a size 6 tip top.

Good luck

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2017 07:38AM

I would think it would be more than just using a larger tip top? What about the running guides up near the tip top. Depending on how deep you're fishing a slip bobber, the bobber stop may actually wind completely on to the reel.

I haven't used one of the thread bobber stops in a long time, but I do use rubber bobber stops to peg my weights when fishing Texas rigged baits in moderate to heavy cover. The bobber stops aren't all that big in diameter and they will barely pass through a 4.5 Fuji guide with an Alconite ring. No way would they pass through a #3 tip top.

You guys must use some real tiny bobber stops lol

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2017 08:05PM

Oh, I can guarantee you that the bobber stop is in the guide train every cast and on the reel many times, nobody is running #3 guides on these rods, he just simply asked if an "oversized" tip top was necessary. No specifics were mentioned, or the temps the rod is subjected to, many use braid because it's limp and it floats, decreasing drag in the water on the float and the offering running in water running in a variety of speeds and depths, the Pacific Coast is known for deep, fast, cold, high gradient (steep dropping) rivers. Depending on the water, floats and baits used my rods run from 4 mm to 8 mm running guides, the 9 1/2 to 10 ft. rods many times, are used for anything from drift fishing to spinners and spoons, to float fishing depending on conditions and situations. The 12 and 13 ft. models are float rods exclusively. Our knotted bobber stops are little bitty things just big enough to not go through the float, if necessary we use very small beads to shim up from the bobber stop to the float.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster