I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair dilemma!
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2017 10:18AM

Hi guys, so I built a split grip rod and the reelseat with a hidden locking nut rear grip using something I frabricated and long story short, it failed. It needs to be replaced with the KDPS quick-lock reel seat locking nut. My dilemma is I really like my existing bottom handle and don't want to cut it out but the replacement component needs to be inserted through the bottom.

My question is there any other options? What if I cut off the blank where the bottom handle is and do my repair then epoxy the blank back on using an inserted smaller blank to bridge the two pieces back together? Or would this really affect the action of the rod? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair dilemma!
Posted by: danny squier (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 02:19PM

Ild cut it right at the butt then it would be just like extending a handle on a already made rod

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 03:26PM

Sid,
If you remove the tip, guides and fore grip if you have one, can you take care of the issue.

Really dislike cutting a blank and splicing it back in if not necessary.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 03:34PM

Double post, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 03:38PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 03:37PM

I'm with Rodger the piece you put inside, to my mind, has to be as strong, or more so than the blank you cut IMO. Rarely is an interior splice that way, it's usually much thinner walled and with the thinner diameter much weaker. It will want the hinge at the cut you made, plus you must thread wrap over the break. It's all a durability issue, action shouldn't be affected to my way of thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 03:41PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: danny squier (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 05:12AM

Being a musky guy I still don't see an issue most 9 foot muskie rods are telescopic and telescope in front of the grip so if u were to do this at your butt cap I really don't see it being an issue as far as durability. Worst case if u are really worried about it put a solid chunk of fiberglass rod back there then the rod will be stronger there then anywhere else in the blank. I've actually been thinking about dabbling with adding weight inside blank at butcap to get that perfect balance on vertical jogging rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 09:56AM

Danny,
If you add weight - do not add weight on the inside of the blank. Generally speaking, the blank is too small to be able to add sufficient weigh to balance the rod within 1/2 inch of the butt cap.
As a result, folks add more and more weight to the butt of the rod that comes further and further forward. The end result is that the rod simply gets heavier and heavier without doing a lot to balance the rod.
Rather, cut off the current butt cap and add a butt cap that has removable weights so that all of the weight is at the very end of the rod.
Or, cut the rear grip off by 1/2 or 3/4 inch depending on what you want to do, and then wrap lead tape to the outside of the blank. This will put the balancing weight at the extreme rear of the rod, where you have the longest lever arm to give you maximum balance effect with minimum added weight. Then, when you either get enough weight added - or when the addition of the butt cap brings the butt cap flush to the rest of the rear grip - stop adding weight.

In past years, I would use a rubber chair leg tip - turned down in a lathe and cut to appropriate length to go over the added weight of the lead tape to form the butt cap of the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:11PM

Roger, unfortunately not. I have to go from bottom up to reach my issue.

I guess I will just have to cut out the handle and redo it...better safe than sorry I suppose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster