I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

downlock fly reel seat end cap attachment
Posted by: John Sagvold (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 10:57AM

I am assembling a couple fly rods for a niece and nephew. One of them will be with a downlock reel seat. I am trying to think of ways attach the end cap to the wood insert without making an epoxy mess in the space where the reel foot slides into the end cap. Or do you just clean up the space with a alcohol soaked brush after attaching? Also, in a testament to the accuracy of machining, the fitment of these parts is quite tight. Is anyone out there using cyanoacrylate adhesive for these components? Usually I work with pre-assembled up-lock reel seats so this is new territory for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: downlock fly reel seat end cap attachment
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 11:35AM

John

A few tips:

Dry fit the end cap into position then wrap masking tape on the cap and insert to protect them from adhesive. If the stripping guide is on the same butt section (it might not be for some 4 and 5 piece rods) align the butt cap hood with the guide else align with the inscription as desired and make alignment marks on the insert and cap tape. It's OK to LIGHTLY sand the insert to make the cap easier to slide into place.

Do not put adhesive on the seat insert. Instead, lightly coat the inside of the cap with adhesive avoiding the hood area. Also apply a small amount of adhesive to the butt end of the reel seat insert and fill the butt end of the blank about 1/4" deep.

Then slowly slide the butt cap into place.

To make certain the hood is not filed with adhesive, you can carefully mount a reel foot into the butt cap hood, remove the reel, an inspect for adhesive on the reel's foot. I use an alignment tool available from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths for this purpose instead of a fly reel. Regardless, make certain the butt cap hood is aligned as desired before the adhesive cures.

Finally remove the masking tape and clean up with DNA being careful not to change the butt cap alignment.

I use ProKote epoxy adhesive and have never used anything other than epoxy to attach a butt cap.

Maybe others will advise an easier process for you.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 11:45AM

John

I should have added to my post that when done correctly there will be very little if any adhesive pushed into the hood area, and the cap and butt end will be water proof.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2017 12:15PM

I'll second Don's advise. I do mine the same way, just use a different brand of epoxy. The only thing that matters to me about the epoxy to use, is to stay away from the 5 min cure stuff. Longer the cure, better the bond. I would not use cyanoacrylate for this, 2 part epoxy is best. I use Ultimate Epoxy from Rod Dancer. Pro Kote and U-40 also have very good epoxies.

Posted by: John Sagvold (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 12:09PM

Thank you for the responses. That's a great idea for using a reel foot to check the hood area for epoxy. I should be able to find an old reel for this in my mountain of gear. Now back to the builds.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 03:25PM

I put a dry Q tip in first than chase it with a DNA wetted one, seems like the DNA stays put where your cleaning and picks up the trace epoxy better than a brush approach. Just can't use this approach where you can snag cotton off the tip, which isn't a problem so much with a brush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 03:27PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster